Thread: Reference Letter(s) in Job Application

Default Reference Letter(s) in Job Application

Hi everyone! I'd be needing your advise regarding job applications in NZ.

I've just started submitting applications (for a software developer position) and have tried my best in drafting a Kiwi-style Cover letter and CV. I know it is a tight job market out there especially for immigrants, so I am thinking if it is okay to attach a reference letter together with my cover letter and CV. I have received that letter from my former Project Manager.
    Problem is, I am not sure if this is a good practice and I am afraid it might somehow backfire (like make the employers think that I am desperate, heehee).

Please let me know if anyone has done this before or just your opinion according to the trend in NZ recruitment.

Thanks in advance!

I'm not in your field, but I didn't attach mine. I did take them to the interview and passed them along with my reference list. Good luck!

Hi. There's no reason at all why you shouldn't include a reference letter. Anything that makes you stand out from the crowd! I have employed many people in NZ who were overseas at the time! I would also make it clear that you either have a visa or would be prepared to head to NZ on a work visa initially and could therefore be available to start work within a few weeks can also make a huge difference. (Not sure of your current visa status.) There is a lot of ignorance about visas and many employers won't even look at you if you don't already have a visa and if they think it will take you 8 months or so to get a Residence Visa before you arrive, they might not be prepared to wait. Cheers. Karen

Hi Karen!
    Yup, that's what I need being an overseas applicant - to stand out from the crowd! I do have a valid working visa (from Silver Fern) and I would need a Skilled Job offer so I can apply for SMC or SF Practical Experience Visa.
    I'm just worried they might think I am over enthusiastic or something. Hehe! I'll take your advice and if there's an opportunity to attach my reference letter (pdf), I will.

Just a question, usually how long should I wait before I conclude that my cv was probably discarded - 1 month?

Thanks Karen! It's good to hear from someone who's on the other side of recruitment. Cheers!
    Last edited by kiwibb; 15th August 2013 at 03:28 PM. Reason: additional question

Having done plenty of IT hiring myself, I would not include a letter of reference with your CV, but a line at the end "Reference Available Upon Request".

Furthermore, you should have at least 2 versions of your CV, one for applying directly to potential employers and another for applying to recruiters. Recruiters take your CV and put it through their own formatting and marketing spin and what they submit to the employer is much different from what you submit to them. What you need to do to catch employers eyes and recruiters eyes is often quite different. While there are good pointers in "kiwi style" guidelines, there are also ways to make your CV stand out in being a bit different from the bog-standard same as the rest of the flock resume. I have quite an artistic CV even though I am extremely technical; developed in conjunction with a designer I used to work with, if features images, colour, heavily formatted text and is visually striking (I have never not gotten a call for positions I have applied for, twice even just to comment on the CV).

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo View Post
    (I have never not gotten a call for positions I have applied for, twice even just to comment on the CV).
    Hi! I am not sure I understood the above correctly. But thanks for sharing the info about submitting different versions to employers and recruiters, I will certainly keep that in mind!