Thread: points (qualifications and absolute skills shortage) and ITA question

Default points (qualifications and absolute skills shortage) and ITA question

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I have a couple of specific questions about the points calculation and ITA:

- The NZQF lists masters degrees as level 9, but the list of qualifications (appendix 3) lists most US masters degrees as level 8. I have two masters degrees: one that falls straight into the level 8 criteria in Appendix 3. The other would likely need assessment (it's a Masters of Engineering, which ironically falls into the absolute skills shortage area if my reading of appendix 4 is correct).

- Do they count more than one level 8/9 qualification? Not that I'd expect them to give full points for anything beyond the first qualification.

- Does anyone have a good understanding of the ITC absolute skills shortage area? I've got over 6 years experience in satellite telecommunications, but the absolute skills shortage list appears to be more aimed at standard network areas.

By conservative calcs, I'm at least 120. More liberal interpretation would have me in the 135 - 145 range. These calculations assume no job offer.

ITA question: What does it really mean to qualify for an ITA? Is that essentially your authorization reside in country and look for work?

My time frame is 2015. I'll be retiring from my US gov't job with an immediate pre-tax pension of approximately US$48K (annual). I'll be 45 at that time.

Thanks

Alistair
    Colorado

I'm not sure from your post if this is what you've found, but for the sake of clarity I'll say it anyway - look at the INZ list of qualifications exempt from assessment http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/35171.htm, and if you don't find your course, at your institution, for the date when you obtained it, then it needs to be assessed by NZQA. Either way, you need the specific level for the qualification(s) you're putting forward.

They only count the points for one qualification.

If you look here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/6954.htm, you'll get the detailed regulations for what points you can count for your application. SM6 has a chart, and the end column tells you what other section to look at for the exact requirements. This is safer than trusting the points checker on the INZ website, which has certain glitches.

ITA = Invitation To Apply. That isn't a visa - it's just a part of the process of applying for Residence under the Skilled Migrant Category. In the first instance, you have to send in an Expression Of Interest (EOI), and if you have the right number of points to meet the criteria at a certain fortnightly draw, your EOI will be selected. Here's an old post which includes the sequence of events to be expected after that. http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....690#post450690

I would imagine that having the job offer is the real clincher for most people getting approved, unless you've got previous NZ experience/education or a PhD.

That thread on ITA discussion is good info.

Thanks

Alistair