Thread: Visa Status?????

Question Visa Status?????

Hello Folks,

I have a query regrading visa status... I and my wife are currently on resident visa, I am planning to go NZ by Jan 2014 end and my wife will join me later by April 2014. Considering and fulfilling all the mandatory conditions for PR (e.g. stay period of 180+ days every year for first 2 yr), I am likely to get PR first than my wife.

My question is, if one of the partner applicant gets PR, can we convert other applicants resident visa status into PR? or he/she has to fulfill all the necessary conditions before applying for PR irrespective of his/her's partners visa status?

Quote Originally Posted by zednic20 View Post
    Hello Folks,

I have a query regrading visa status... I and my wife are currently on resident visa, I am planning to go NZ by Jan 2014 end and my wife will join me later by April 2014. Considering and fulfilling all the mandatory conditions for PR (e.g. stay period of 180+ days every year for first 2 yr), I am likely to get PR first than my wife.

My question is, if one of the partner applicant gets PR, can we convert other applicants resident visa status into PR? or he/she has to fulfill all the necessary conditions before applying for PR irrespective of his/her's partners visa status?
    I might not be 100% sure, but the PR condition's applies to primary applicant only.

Me Not sure as well, anyways thanks a lot hemanshumistry. Lets see what other replies.

Yes, it's the primary applicant who has to fulfil the conditions, and the others on the same application (partner and any children) get their PR along with them. Notice the wording at the beginning of this page. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm
    To be eligible for a permanent resident visa the principal applicant in your original residence application must
    ... (my bolding)

(But be aware, the secondary applicants MUST arrive in NZ and activate their visas before the date printed on them, or they will lapse, even if the principal applicant has been in NZ all along.)

Thanks a lot JandM.

I went through the same thing in 1999. My wife was the primary applicant, I went over, but her application lapsed. So, now, a decade later, we do it all over again. Lets call it school fees.