Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Days count

Default Days count

Hi,
    In regards to the days count of days stay in NZ,does NZIS count the days that one has entered NZ and the day of departure as a day each? For example,if one arrives at 1pm on 1st April and departs at 4pm on 4th April ,what will be the total number of days stayed in NZ-is it 4?

Anyone??

I'm fairly sure that INZ count only COMPLETE days, so day of arrival and day of departure in your example would not count, and your total would be 2 days only.

Why are you trying to count days?

I can't at the moment find a reference to back this up - can anybody help?

We arrived on 17th and they stamped our entry with the 18th. Not sure about exit.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    I'm fairly sure that INZ count only COMPLETE days, so day of arrival and day of departure in your example would not count, and your total would be 2 days only.

Why are you trying to count days?

I can't at the moment find a reference to back this up - can anybody help?
    Thanks JandM,I am trying to get my Permanent RV by establishing a base after the purchase of a house in my first year of entry .I need to do 41 days in my last 12 months before lodging my PR visa as below from NZIS website.

5. Established base in New Zealand
    You have been in New Zealand as a resident for a total of at least 41 days in the 12-month period immediately before lodging your permanent resident visa application, and all members of your immediate family who were included in your residence application have resided in New Zealand for a total of at least 184 days in the two-year period immediately before lodging your permanent resident visa application.

Also I read it in NZ IRD website regarding days count as per below and I was advised by the NZIS officers verbally that the days of entry and exit are counted as a full day of stay-does anyone has any backing to this? I presume that ALL government systems in NZ would follow this policy??

http://www.ird.govt.nz/international/residency/dta/

Also if you’re in New Zealand for only part of a day, it is counted as being a whole day. This means that the days on which you depart or arrive are treated as “days present" in New Zealand.

Just read this from the following IRD website also (I assume that the NZIS and IRD are very closely linked in terms of stay in NZ):

http://www.ird.govt.nz/international...ency/personal/

What is the 183-day rule?

If you are in New Zealand for more than 183 days in any 12-month period, you are a New Zealand tax resident from the date of your arrival here. The 183 days do not have to be consecutive and if you are in New Zealand for only part of a day, it will be counted as being a whole day.

Can anyone confirm this??
    Last edited by garuda; 18th August 2013 at 07:53 AM.

I think this is something you must check with INZ. I don't think it's safe just to ASSUME that INZ and the IRD will follow the same policy. The regulations which each department follows depend on different sets of laws, so their practice may be different.

So your plan is to meet the established base requirements...

Will your family remain in NZ whilst you are overseas?
    When do you plan on meeting the 41 day requirement e.g. at the start of the second 12 month period, or at the end or?

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    So your plan is to meet the established base requirements...

Will your family remain in NZ whilst you are overseas?
    When do you plan on meeting the 41 day requirement e.g. at the start of the second 12 month period, or at the end or?

Ian
    Thanks Ian,family has already completed the 184 days (from the 1st day of entry till todate) and I have already done 39 days (includes entry and exit days) in the start of the second 12 month.Its due to expire in 1 months time at which time i will apply for the PR visa.

Quote Originally Posted by garuda View Post
    Thanks Ian,family has already completed the 184 days (from the 1st day of entry till todate) and I have already done 39 days (includes entry and exit days) in the start of the second 12 month.Its due to expire in 1 months time at which time i will apply for the PR visa.
    Well to answer your original question, if you check out RV1.15.5 of the Residence manual, it has a note which appears to confirm what you have been told.

RV1.15.5 Evidence of periods spent in New Zealand as a resident

Note: Periods during which a person has been in New Zealand as a resident are calculated inclusive of both arrival and departure dates.
    So your 2 years in NZ (since activating your residence visa) is set to expire in 1 months time and at that time you will have done the additional 2 days required to meet all the requirements.

As you are clearly pushing the limits somewhat, please be aware that the time periods are all calculated from the time your application is received, so you could 'lose' some days that were accrued at the start of the 12 month period if your application was delayed.

Ian

Hi Ian,
    Thanks.So the NZIS officer was correct !!!First entry was done on 14th Sept 2011 after blue sticker so it is set to expire on 14th Sept 2013.Spouse and child had full two years to do the entries (184 days).I will be doing another 4 days entry which will push the total to 45 days from 14th Sept 2012 till Sept 2013 (last 12 month).House was bought in July 2012.
    Hope that is will be sufficient and rules were followed.
    Last edited by garuda; 18th August 2013 at 05:17 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast