Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the difference of being a "Resident" and being a "Permanent Resident" ?

Default What's the difference of being a "Resident" and being a "Permanent Resident" ?

Sorry for the silly question. Just wondering..

A simple answer on INZ website.

Apart from the name there is no difference whatsoever for the purposes of accessing health services or employment for instance. However, as the above link says they have different travel conditions: to explain it on my own case - on a resident visa I have two year travel conditions. This means, for two years (from the visa endorsement date) I can freely travel from/to NZ. After the 2 year mark, I must not leave NZ as my resident visa would lapse if I did - I would not be permitted back in NZ as my travel conditions would have been expired - this is when I apply for a permanent resident visa. A permanent resident visa allows you to travel from/to NZ as often as you like and for as long as you like without the visa ever expiring.
    Last edited by Elaine_NZ; 30th January 2014 at 01:46 PM.

thanks Elaine for clarifying

You're welcome.

And a Resident visa is most commonly obtained by a successful application under the Skilled Migrant Category, whereas PR is a different visa only granted to people who have had Residence for at least two years (and various other conditions you can see on the INZ website).

Funny, I was just on the phone with immigration today asking them this same question. I was really surprised to find this out, so I'll just share it with anyone who may still be in the research process:

You do not have to spend any time in New Zealand to apply for residency.

I'm here with my family on Essential Skills Work Visas, and I was sure that we had to wait two years before applying for residency. Not true. We could have applied on day one. We have 200 points (40 of which are for working outside of Auckland.. ha!) and the only thing in our way is the $1,800 fee. Worth it, when you consider that we will only have to be in New Zealand for 30 months in order to earn voting rights, and heaps of other privileges that are near citizenship. Not to mention, we can leave and come back at any time, for the rest of our lives. Pretty cool.

I have to say, that's pretty amazing. As much as I've complained about the red tape from immigration this past year, it's a pretty welcoming, open-door policy compared to other countries.

Quote Originally Posted by A.C. Slater View Post
    I'm here with my family on Essential Skills Work Visas, and I was sure that we had to wait two years before applying for residency. Not true. We could have applied on day one. We have 200 points (40 of which are for working outside of Auckland.. ha!) and the only thing in our way is the $1,800 fee. Worth it, when you consider that we will only have to be in New Zealand for 30 months in order to earn voting rights, and heaps of other privileges that are near citizenship. Not to mention, we can leave and come back at any time, for the rest of our lives. Pretty cool.
    You cannot leave and come back anytime for the rwst of your lives with residency, you can only leave and come back for 2 years. To leave and come back anytime you need permanent residence (hence the name, get it!). You must spend 51% of your two previous years in NZ to apply for PR.
    Last edited by G-Mo; 1st February 2014 at 06:37 PM.

Yup, that's what I said. We'll only have to be in NZ for 30 months in order to attain permanent residency. We've been here for six months, submitting EOI this week (with 200+ points), should have resident status shortly thereafter, then just 24 months away. The way things have been going here, I'd be shocked if we spent just 1% of the next two years out of New Zealand.

To me what you state seem a bit confused- yes, to apply for RESIDENCE you don't need to have spend any time in new Zealand, but to apply for PERMANENT RESIDENCE you will have to..., and, by the way, you have voting rights as soon as you have Residence.

hello,
    although I think I know meaning of PR one thing I don't get. INZ says PR is forever, but what lets say, I leave nz for a loooong time and I come back and lets say I need access to the nz healthcare, will I be provided with it? I mean, I did not pay taxes for such a long time and now I am back to use the healthcare. How they deal with this and is pr REALLY FOREVER or there are some caveats?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast