Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving to Dunedin

Question Moving to Dunedin

We are hoping to arrive in Dunedin later this year. We have two boys aged 9 and 6 so we need to decide where to send them to school as well look for somewhere to live. Any school recomendations and /or advice on areasto live in Dunedin gratefully accepted.

Hi there J&SR. What sort of budget are you looking with? Are you planning on staying in Dunedin until your boys finish high school? Whereabouts will you and your partner be working?
    The nicest suburbs are Maori Hill and then Roslyn. They are family-friendly, and filled with beautiful character houses on tree-lined streets. They're both right above the city, a very short commute to work and the main shopping area (including Merdian and the Golden Centre and Wall Street malls and New World Centre City supermarket). Many of the houses are very affordable. The best schools are all nearby. Maori Hill School itself is the best public primary.

Dunedin doesn't have any private schools, but Columba College is a state-integrated (halfway between public and private, cheaper than private) Presbyterian school. It has a co-ed primary and a girls-only intermediate and high school. It's definitely the city's private-equivalent primary. Columba has an excellent academic reputation. It's located between Maori Hill and Roslyn.

John McGlashan College is Columba's brother school (also state-integrated Presbyterian), and the best boys school with an excellent reputation. Unlike other cities, Dunedin doesn't have an outstanding co-ed school. I'm sure all Columba's primary boys who stay on in Dunedin go to McGlashan. McGlashan is in Maori Hill.

Roslyn has Kaikorai Primary, another good primary school. St Clair is very nice area too, but further away from town (although everything is relatively central in Dunedin). But the public school options aren't very good. I would only recommend it if you decide on Columba for your boys.

If you're fixed on a public intermediate and high school, look at Otago Boy's High School after Balmacewen Intermediate.
    But I would strongly recommend Maori Hill School or Columba followed by John McGlashan College. Compared to Presbyterian or Anglican schools in other cities Columba and McGlashan are extremely affordable. Coming from the UK, probably unbelievably so - they're both only about $2,000 a year (the most expensive private school is over $20,000).
    Last edited by pear; 22nd August 2013 at 12:21 AM.

Thanks so much for this, that's really helpful. John McGlashan's had been mentioned to my husband when he was over for interview but I wasn't sure what to do about primary. Can they attend John McGlashan College from any part of the city or is it zoned?

I don't know enough details about the schools here -

however I disagree with the statement:
    Quote Originally Posted by pear View Post
    The nicest suburbs are Maori Hill and then Roslyn.
    Anyway there are already quite a few posts (threads) on Dunedin suburbs in this forum...

J&SR, state-integrated schools don't have zones like public schools do. Just email them to ask about the school anyway http://www.mcglashan.school.nz/contacts/ The website is a good way to check out the school too.

Public schools on the other hand have very strict zones. Unless you choose Columba (and I'm not pushing for you to), the primary school will depend on where live. (Or where you live will depend on the primary school you choose!). I still strongly recommend Maori Hill School.

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    ...I disagree with the statement:
    Anyway there are already quite a few posts (threads) on Dunedin suburbs in this forum...
    Hi ralf-nz, why do you disagree with the statement? What do you think are the nicest suburbs in Dunedin? Do you disagree the reasons I gave?

(That they are family-friendly, and filled with beautiful character houses on tree-lined streets. They're both right above the city, a very short commute to work and the main shopping area (including Merdian and the Golden Centre and Wall Street malls and New World Centre City supermarket). Many of the houses are very affordable. The best schools are all nearby. Maori Hill School itself is the best public primary.)

J&SR, state-integrated schools don't have zones like public schools do. Just email them to ask about the school anyway http://www.mcglashan.school.nz/contacts/ The website is a good way to check out the school too.

Public schools on the other hand have very strict zones. Unless you choose Columba (and I'm not pushing for you to), the primary school will depend on where live. (Or where you live will depend on the primary school you choose!). I still strongly recommend Maori Hill School.

Hi ralf-nz, why do you disagree with the statement? What do you think are the nicest suburbs in Dunedin? Do you disagree the reasons I gave?

(That they are family-friendly, and filled with beautiful character houses on tree-lined streets. They're both right above the city, a very short commute to work and the main shopping area (including Merdian and the Golden Centre and Wall Street malls and New World Centre City supermarket). Many of the houses are very affordable. The best schools are all nearby. Maori Hill School itself is the best public primary.)
    I think I would agree with ralf-nz, there are other very nice places in Dunedin as well.., and some people (from Dunedin) wouldn't move to Maori Hill because they think it is one of the colder/ coldest areas. You will definitely be cut off as soon as there is any snow.....(until it melts).
    Personally I have a different view on schools, too.., but that is just me and it might be completely different because I am not comparing with English schools.

I personally just don't like such 'absolute' statement on anything like 'these are the best' without sufficient clarification. In this instance you have provided later on a description of your chosen suburbs implying that this the reason why you have chosen them. Some reasons you mention seem week in my opinion as they describe much more suburbs than 'your two'. With one reason in particular I just do not agree as I deem Roslyn and Maori Hill too close to the city (if not part of it) as wanting to live there. Another reason re commute might describe your situation but by far not the situation of everyone living in Dunedin.

My observation over the years here is that there are roughly three areas people find very popular: St Kilda/St Clair, Waverley/Andersons Bay and Roslyn/Maori Hill as for the inner suburbs; Pt Chalmers, Portobello, Brighton and Waitati for outer ones; and don't forget that technically Mosgiel is also a suburb.

Sorry ralf-nz, I did try to find info on areas in Dunedin but must confess I am new to using forums so I felt it was easier to ask. Your comments about these ares of Dunedin are very helpful - thank you.

Hi J&SR,
    My wife and I are considering moving to Dunedin next year, coming for a visit in January. We also have a son who is 9 now. I would be interested to know how you have gone moving to Dunedin? What are your thoughts about it, schools and where you ended up living?
    Cheers.

Hi Smoot & J&SR - its been a while with now updated and wondered if you have moved to sunny Dunedin, we have lived here for 6 years with our young kids so might be able to help answer any questions if you like?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast