Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping Large Dog

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Shipping Large Dog

Hi there,

I have a dog around the size of a Labrador / Rhodesian Ridgeback and desperately want to bring her to NZ from the UK (Wales).

I seem to be getting conflicting advice regarding bringing her and wonder if anyone can shed some light please?

Does anyone know if she definitely needs to be quarantined if she has rabies jabs? That's costing around $670!! :-0
    Let alone the flight of £2076
    Vets £600
    Import fee £150
    Some sort of MAF fee $150

Is anyone able to confirm these figures at all please? Costs seem so high and if there's a way to cut them back it would be excellent!!

Thanks in advance!
    S

It's expensive. You have to make up your mind to bite the bullet if you're going to keep this furry family member with you. Yes, your pet will be liable for 10 days' quarantine. The full details are available here and at the links from this page. http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/enter.../cats-and-dogs

Hi, we too wanted to keep the cost down so opted to do the paperwork ourselves and use a company to sort just the flight and crate out. I would point out it has been a complete headache with the amount of paperwork and timings however if you want to save money this is an option. We were quoted from a certain company to do all the paperwork £2100 then choose the company who we are using which were £700 cheeper but as I said be prepared for a headache, it's not been easy but doable. Our pooch flys from heathrow on Monday! If you need any help PM me.
    Best of luck

Hi Loujiggy,

Thanks for the figures, I just wanted to confirm the £2100 figure, you mentioned paperwork but as I'm new to all this would you mind explaining in detail, is that the flight and crate, plus forms? Then your additional costs are MAF fees and export licence etc?

Thanks, good luck for monday too!
    S

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by waterbabe76 View Post
    Hi Loujiggy,

Thanks for the figures, I just wanted to confirm the £2100 figure, you mentioned paperwork but as I'm new to all this would you mind explaining in detail, is that the flight and crate, plus forms? Then your additional costs are MAF fees and export licence etc?

Thanks, good luck for monday too!
    S
    The £2100 figure is from a company who make the crate according to your dogs weight and size, they also advise on paperwork and send your vet times on when specific blood tests etc needs to be done. The company we are using which has cost £1300 just books the flight and makes the crate, all the paperwork has been done by us for eg import/export cert, arranging quarantine facility's in NZ etc..
    If I can be of any more help please let me know :-)

So presumably that doesn't include the flight just the cost of the create and notification of when the vet needs to be seen :-/ No vets fees inc? That sounds expensive to me but I haven't done it and that is why I'm asking.

Here's the budget that I've got so far - please feel free to comment on any of the elements if you think they are inaccurate or can be done cheaper, this doing it myself.
    Vet = 600 GBP
    Quarantine = $200 NZD (I read somewhere but can't find it now! $20pd)
    Flights = 2010 GBP
    Export Health Certificate = 150 GBP
    Import Permit = 380 GBP
    MAF Fees = $166.62NZD

Total Approx = £3334GBP

Thanks very much to all your replies, as I suspected: to not have ANY quarantine fees knowing how strict MAF are it seemed unrealistic which is true so that has been confirmed No nasty surprises there and 10 days is better than 31 which I have been quoted!

Catt, so glad you said you were glad you brought Paddy, it is such a high cost and I am coming on a shoestring that's threadbare lol!! I am not that sentimental but she is part of the family. I think I am going to need to persevere and maybe stay a little longer to save if that is the only option :-/

Thanks everyone, anymore advice would be greatly appreciated! Would you get the crate yourself of let the shipper sort?

yes to rabies jab and quarantine and they need to have a blood test 3 months before to check the rabies jab has worked, also they need to be de fleaed and blood tests taken the first visit cost us £90

Check out Golden Arrow http://www.goldenarrowshippers.com/content/shipping for a quote and concise info. They had our dog in with them for a month before shipping and did everything for us, one less headache in the melee of everything else relating to our move. We were lucky I think we just got here before they brought in the 10 day quarantine law and we were able to have our dog with us as soon as he arrived in Auckland with the proviso that he couldn't go more that 100 metres from our home for the first 30 days. Good luck and one final thing, we are so pleased we decided to bring Paddy with us.

We shipped from east coast USA (Labrador) and it cost us about $6000 NZ inc quarantine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast