Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help on Birth Certificate's Issue

Question Help on Birth Certificate's Issue

Dear all,

I will be in the process soon to apply under SMC. I am from India living in Auckland have a concern regarding my Birth Certificate.

We just found that my name is completely wrong on my birth certificate after enquiring with the birth certificate issuing authority and the worst thing is that It cannot be amended now.

My name is correct on all my academic and passport docs. I know most of us ( Indians) would have come across with the same issue. My question is that how is it treatable? and how immigration NZ would take it?

Thanks for taking out time

Sorry to hear you have this problem. I know many forum members have found discrepancies in their documents while preparing to submit them (not only Indian birth certificates) - the suggestion usually is (if it's not possible to get an amendment) to try to get a sworn statement from one of your parents or an authority-figure in the community who knows you from childhood, that you are genuinely the person MEANT by the certificate with the wrong information on, and the true information is (whatever). Unfortunately, I don't remember that anyone has come back and said that this worked and everything has gone through, so we have to hope that 'no news is good news'.

Unless there is someone reading this who can tell us about an outcome - ???

(The only definite advice I remember is this http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....183#post456183 which sounds as if it is not your case, but I add it in case it is of any help to anyone else reading the thread.)

Dear JandM,
    Thanks a lot for a great advice and I understand that there got to be some solution to tackle the issue ( Like sworn affidavit) but I fear I would slow down my application's processing. Do you think that I should ask to INZ for the issue. Would they be able to advice me on this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Sorry to hear you have this problem. I know many forum members have found discrepancies in their documents while preparing to submit them (not only Indian birth certificates) - the suggestion usually is (if it's not possible to get an amendment) to try to get a sworn statement from one of your parents or an authority-figure in the community who knows you from childhood, that you are genuinely the person MEANT by the certificate with the wrong information on, and the true information is (whatever). Unfortunately, I don't remember that anyone has come back and said that this worked and everything has gone through, so we have to hope that 'no news is good news'.

Unless there is someone reading this who can tell us about an outcome - ???

(The only definite advice I remember is this http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....183#post456183 which sounds as if it is not your case, but I add it in case it is of any help to anyone else reading the thread.)
    Dear JandM,
    Thanks a lot for a great advice and I understand that there got to be some solution to tackle the issue ( Like sworn affidavit) but I fear I would slow down my application's processing. Do you think that I should ask to INZ for the issue. Would they be able to advice me on this.

Thanks

The thing is, the lack of a birth certificate which agrees with the rest of your paperwork is ALSO going to slow down the processing. The CO doesn't have discretion to pass over something - s/he has to be able to tick off on a list to say that s/he has seen ALL the required pieces of evidence.

I think it's a good idea to consult INZ about your particular situation, but I am sure the answer is going to be that there has to be SOMETHING to substitute for the birth certificate with correct details.

I found some more references which may be of interest, even though not just the same as your problem. http://www.dol.govt.nz/immigration/k...base/item/8485
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/timaru-herald...ts-spelt-Denis
    http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42062

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    The thing is, the lack of a birth certificate which agrees with the rest of your paperwork is ALSO going to slow down the processing. The CO doesn't have discretion to pass over something - s/he has to be able to tick off on a list to say that s/he has seen ALL the required pieces of evidence.

I think it's a good idea to consult INZ about your particular situation, but I am sure the answer is going to be that there has to be SOMETHING to substitute for the birth certificate with correct details.

I found some more references which may be of interest, even though not just the same as your problem. http://www.dol.govt.nz/immigration/k...base/item/8485
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/timaru-herald...ts-spelt-Denis
    http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42062

Thanks JandM,
    You are doing an excellent service for the people in need. You are really a hero

Hi Navman,

Yes probably a statutory declaration or sworn affidavit would help in your case.

Your options are - change your academic records because the correct name is defined on your birth cert
    or
    find out a person high enough who can convince the issuing authority to change it, there is usually a cash transaction involved

I haven't found or heard of INZ to budge in cases of Indian nationality, but I hope that changes soon. Unfortunately it is true that in India the School leaving certificates which record date of birth are trusted much more than birth certificates, but INZ is probably of the opinion that that view sounds fake.

My application got delayed by a year and I eventually contacted yourmaninindia which is a website supplying concierge type services

The birth certificate issued at the time of my birth did not carry my name on it. I have applied again for a reissue, submitting all relevant documentation to the municipal council and got a new birth certificate with my name on it. You can apply for reissue of birth certificate with the same municipal council / corporation where your birth was registered. I have no ties in the town I was born now. Still, the process is very much standard and clear. They said it will take 15 days to get my new birth certificate and got it in 15 days as they mentioned.

This is not something they can deny issuing.

I think a reissue without name is different from change of name. An affidavit for formally change your name should be sufficient, but again this is an INZ discussion, so it dfepends on their position, because this will not result ina new birth certificate, and as I undersyand they are discputing if the academic records belong to the same person given that the submitted birth cert has a different name on it.

In Calcutta you can apply for a "Same Name" certificate, to account for spelling differences, not sure about other parts of the country.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast