Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP! English Language for Prinicpal Applicants - Proof

Default HELP! English Language for Prinicpal Applicants - Proof

I understand it does not necessarily needed to take the IELTs as proof of English language ability as long as you prove that you are able to speak the language. Any idea what kind of proof i need to get? does it have a standard template?

Notwithstanding (b) above, an immigration officer may, on a case by case basis, consider the following as evidence of the principal applicant meeting the minimum standard of English if:
    they provide evidence that their recognised qualification(s):
    was gained as a result of a course or courses of study in which English was the only medium of instruction; and
    (if that qualification was gained in New Zealand) the qualification had a minimum completion time of at least two years and is at least a bachelor degree or it is a post-graduate qualification and the applicant has an undergraduate qualification that qualifies for points; or
    they have current skilled employment in New Zealand for a period of at least 12 months that qualifies for points (see SM7); or
    they provide other evidence which satisfies an immigration officer that, taking account of that evidence and all the circumstances of the application, they are a competent user of English. These circumstances may include but are not limited to:
    the country in which the applicant currently resides;
    the country(ies) in which the applicant has previously resided;
    the duration of residence in each country;
    whether the applicant speaks any language other than English;
    whether members of the applicant's family speak English;
    whether members of the applicant's family speak any language other than English;
    the nature of the applicant's current or previous employment (if any) and whether that is or was likely to require skill in English language;
    the nature of the applicant's qualifications (if any) and whether the obtaining of those qualifications was likely to require skill in the English language.
    Last edited by autumn; 23rd August 2013 at 06:06 PM.

No, there's nothing standard, as there are so many possibilities.

But, for instance...

If you've got a qualification that was taught entirely in English, you have to get a letter stating that you (by name) successfully followed (whatever) course during (whatever) dates, and that course was taught entirely in English.

If you work in an English-speaking environment, you need a letter from your employer to say so.

If you were born and raised in an English-speaking family, you just say so. If you were educated in the English system, you say so, and your qualifications will make that obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    No, there's nothing standard, as there are so many possibilities.

But, for instance...

If you've got a qualification that was taught entirely in English, you have to get a letter stating that you (by name) successfully followed (whatever) course during (whatever) dates, and that course was taught entirely in English.

If you work in an English-speaking environment, you need a letter from your employer to say so.

If you were born and raised in an English-speaking family, you just say so. If you were educated in the English system, you say so, and your qualifications will make that obvious.

for my qualification, i think i can get that from the university but for the company where i work, i tries asking them for such certificate but they were asking me a specific template/format of the letter. Do you have an example of such letter i can have as reference? would the certificate from the university suffice?

There is no template. You yourself can put together a form of words. It should state that your job as (whatever) requires you to communicate in English with (whoever - clients and/or colleagues) for (whatever) per cent of the working week, for the purpose(s) of (whatever). The part about purpose is useful for giving the information that you are using English in a variety of contexts and with a variety of ranges of vocabulary (if you are).

The certificate from the university MIGHT suffice. It's worth noting, though, that many COs have an automatic reaction upon looking at a new case to say, 'Where is your IELTS?' - I guess it's an easier option for them than actually checking other, different evidence. For that reason, I'd give as much as you can.

I just provided them with certificates that english is the medium of teaching in my university. Note that, in case you are going to claim points for your partner, you and your partner should have the same level of english proficiency.

Also, i provided them with some training certificates that the course is taken entirely in english, e.g. Microsoft, itil trainings...etc. I specifically mentioned this in my covering letter.
    r
    Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by trevore View Post
    I just provided them with certificates that english is the medium of teaching in my university. Note that, in case you are going to claim points for your partner, you and your partner should have the same level of english proficiency.

Also, i provided them with some training certificates that the course is taken entirely in english, e.g. Microsoft, itil trainings...etc. I specifically mentioned this in my covering letter.
    r
    Hope this helps

Thanks trevore.

I have training certificates also, yes it is written in english as the training was in english but it doesnot state in the certificate that the training was conducted in english. can i still use it as proof?

My partner is a Bachelor's degree graduate also so i guess we can get the same kind of proof to prove that we meet the english requirement right?
    Last edited by autumn; 24th August 2013 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    There is no template. You yourself can put together a form of words. It should state that your job as (whatever) requires you to communicate in English with (whoever - clients and/or colleagues) for (whatever) per cent of the working week, for the purpose(s) of (whatever). The part about purpose is useful for giving the information that you are using English in a variety of contexts and with a variety of ranges of vocabulary (if you are).

The certificate from the university MIGHT suffice. It's worth noting, though, that many COs have an automatic reaction upon looking at a new case to say, 'Where is your IELTS?' - I guess it's an easier option for them than actually checking other, different evidence. For that reason, I'd give as much as you can.

yes, i guess you're right, more proof would mean more reason to prove that i meet the english requirement. thanks JandM

I have training certificates also, yes it is written in english as the training was in english but it doesnot state in the certificate that the training was conducted in english. can i still use it as proof?
    No - you'd need to contact the training provider and ask them for a letter to state specifically that the course you attended successfully was all conducted in English (as with the university letter).

My partner is a Bachelor's degree graduate also so i guess we can get the same kind of proof to prove that we meet the english requirement right?
    Yes, proving your partner's English competence can be done in exactly the same way as for yours.

I agree with all that JandM mentioned, but I guess having a proper IELTS score does that work better with certainty, for both Principal and dependent applicant.

Quote Originally Posted by autumn View Post
    Thanks trevore.

Don't be confused about the proof, i have provided english certificate from the university then since iam a bit hesitant, i added the training certificates that i have acquired and specifically mentioned in my covering letter that all trainings are in english... Of course given that it's from microsoft, itil, etc its obvious that the standards were taught in english...

JandM is correct, if you can request from the trainer that english was the medium or perhaps from your company that english is the medium of communications spoken and written, then that would be ok as well. Note that the CO can still request for ielts if not satisfied with the evidences that you will provide.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast