Thread: Everything You've Ever Wanted to Know About Moving Your Pet To New Zealand

Default Everything You've Ever Wanted to Know About Moving Your Pet To New Zealand

We moved to New Zealand a month ago from the USA, and bringing our dog was one of the hardest parts of the move. I remember I had so many questions and felt so overwhelmed when I was starting out. For those people who are where I was back then, I've written an article to help you with the process and understand everything that will happen. Hopefully this will help out a few people!

http://www.kiwinos.com/pets

That's a great posting. I'm sure it will help those who come after you. Besides that, I was empathizing with you and your feelings for your small family-member throughout - so glad he made the trip.

Good read, sort of. I stopped reading half way through as it correlated pretty well with our experience, and on the whole, and experience we don't want to have to go through again.

Hope you're enjoying Wellington!

Thanks for that, very interesting read (as is your blog incidentally!) - while we are heading from a different part of the world I fear the process may transpire to be equally painful on several fronts.

Cheers, Dan

Thanks for taking the time to write it all down. It is such a worry and we'll be using a company to help us through it all.
    Our cats are taking the journey with us and are as ready to go as they can be at the moment while we wait for the visa approval.

Hi i'm moving out to south island from uk jan 2014 and contemplating taking my cat. Ive got the rabies shot sorted to leave options open if do decide to take her rather than rehome. The cost of shipping seems unreal 1000+ have you investigated and found any cheaper carriers? the 10 days quarintine is fine but only available in south island in Christchurch and not in carrier price. Be glad of anyones thoughts? Thanks Liz

Quote Originally Posted by lsheehan View Post
    Hi i'm moving out to south island from uk jan 2014 and contemplating taking my cat. Ive got the rabies shot sorted to leave options open if do decide to take her rather than rehome. The cost of shipping seems unreal 1000+ have you investigated and found any cheaper carriers? the 10 days quarintine is fine but only available in south island in Christchurch and not in carrier price. Be glad of anyones thoughts? Thanks Liz
    We brought 2 dogs and 1 cat from the UK in 2010 so prior to the quarantine changes. We used Golden Arrow based in Shropshire who are worth contacting if you haven't had a quote from them already. I seem to remember the breakdown of our costs for the cat was 800 pounds at that time.

I read your story and it is very similar to my tale of shipping my cat. Your experience with IPT is exactly like mine was and I'd love to use someone else this time. They were completely unresponsive, refused to give me an itemized bill, and let the vet do all the work they said they would do - and that presumably I paid for. Interestingly, the vet didn't charge me for any of the paper work. But as with your experience, the cat arrived fine and things got a lot better when the quarantine people got her. They - QPS in Auckland - were very caring and helpful and were the first to tell me she had arrived OK. I will use QPS again for sure. Not so sure about IPT.

I agree. If you have a good vet, I would rely on them over IPT. They'll do it for free, and since they're local to you, it's just a lot easier.

Thanks for posting your pet import story. It's important that folks thinking of bringing a pet to NZ know what lies ahead.
    I wanted to add that I also had a frustrating time trying to relocate my cat from SF to NZ using IPT, which I first heard about through this forum. I experienced the same: non-returned phone calls, little guidance. When I did actually reach them, they acted annoyed, like they couldn't be bothered. This needlessly added to the already intense stress of moving. I was surprised, given the good reviews I had read here. Basically all I got from IPT was a long detailed list of things I had to do (something like 15 pages) with an estimate, which I dutifully paid on time. Later, for the actual shipping, I had to get in touch with their local agent here in SF, which was Pet Express. As IPT is based in LAX, they contracted Pet Express to ship my cat from SFO.
    When it was finally time for my cat to travel, I drove my cat to Pet Express in Brisbane (near SFO), which was very convenient as it was also close to the USDA office, which I visited for finalization of paperwork. The USDA office near SFO was not busy. There was only one person ahead of me and no one waiting after me.
    Wish I had just used Pet Express from the get-go. They were efficient, communicative, friendly, reassuring. Again, Pet Express did the actual shipping of my cat.
    I left for New Zealand a few days later.
    My cat was quarantined outside of Christchurch. When he was done with quarantine, they put him on a flight to Dunedin, where I met him at the airport.
    I would say the total costs (vet visits, vaccinations, rabies titre, shipping, quarantine, permits, cat carrier, and more) of bringing my cat to New Zealand was between $4000 and $4500. This was in December 2011.