Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping guitars

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Shipping guitars

Has anyone transported/sent guitars recently? (Posts on here seem a few years old relating to guitar shipments.)

We're reluctant to put them in the container due to the temperature ranges experienced.
    Our mover has suggested they travel with us in the hold as part of our luggage allowance (saying they wouldn't be allowed as hand luggage).
    This would of course cut down on what else we carry so isn't our favourite option and we don't have any hard cases.
    So we're thinking about sending them by UPS/FedEx/other by air. Any recommendations?

Any ideas that don't break the bank but will get them to NZ safe and sound?
    Many thanks

My son and his family are coming to NZ in December. My acoustic guitar is in the U.S. so they'll ship it in their container. My 20' container was shipped to NZ last December and it was in storage in Auckland for about a month. When I unpacked my belongings, it was if everything had just been packed the day before. I saw no sign at all of heat/humidity/water damage. It was a pleasant surprise as I was expecting evidence of the journey. So I'm comfortable putting my acoustic guitar in their container though I'll see if I can put it inside a piece of furniture. However, this is just my own experience - I think others here might have negative experiences with their containers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dell View Post
    When I unpacked my belongings, it was if everything had just been packed the day before. I saw no sign at all of heat/humidity/water damage.
    My experience too.

Quote Originally Posted by mylesdw View Post
    My experience too.
    Same here! And we had all our stuff in storage for about 6 weeks before we could move into the first rental, too!

We had clear evidence our container had got very hot. We had some chocolate that had clearly been melted and set many times - not a real surprise. We also had some very well wrapped glass nick nacks with air bubbles which were damaged where the bubbles near the edge had expanded and broken through the glass. Some of the hardboard backs to furniture were quite badly warped as well which I assume was humidity.

If you have precious things that are sensitive to heat and humidity conditions I'd think very carefully before packing in a container.

Simon

We only had one guitar but we did indeed bring it on the plane with us. I'd suggest getting hard cases or if less expensive hard suitcases (and then pack around the guitars to keep them stable) and paying the excess for extra baggage. I think it'll be far less than the cost of shipping these separately and will be the best protection you can give them for the move.

Loosen the strings. For an acoustic, put a couple of desiccant bags inside and wrap in a blanket rather than plastic (for that matter don't wrap anything in plastic, including bubble wrap), and if you can put it inside something else (like a sideboard) do so.

Another unscathed shipment to report here, no sign of excessive heat and certainly no mould or mildew. All wrapped in paper by the packers. Mine was only at sea for 39 days though.

Unless you can afford the really expensive, protective cases I would take my chance with the container over the baggage handlers any day.
    Last edited by RedVee; 24th August 2013 at 03:12 PM.

Unless you can afford the really expensive, protective cases I would take my chance with the container over the baggage handlers any day.

Absolutely.

Thanks a lot everyone. Very interesting.
    Container not looking too bad of an idea in the end

My guitar was wrapped in padded plastic sheet, bubble wrapped and waterproof wrapped. It's sufficient to survive the trip with no damage whatsoever. If you are worried, get a hardcase.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast