Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foods in NZ

Default Foods in NZ

Hi all

I would like to know if you can buy Alpen (the cereal for breakfast) in NZ in the shops, I cant do without it in the mornings !!

Ooh, I'd forgotten all about Alpen. I've not seen any, but I haven't been looking for it. Try the 'foreign foods' aisle in New World or check to see if you have a UK shop near you. I don't know where you are (or even if you are here yet) but there is a UK food shop in Petone (Wellington) and I am sure there must be others.

Alpen is just a brand of Weetabix, which does not market in NZ. There is loads of mueseli, a few of the New Worlds have the sort of pix n mix type displays, so you don't need to buy a whole packet and then find out you don't like it. Buying UK branded stuff is usually very expensive, much better to get your tastebuds acclimatised to a local brand - like Weet-bix instead of Weetabix.

Having said that, there are some things where there are no NZ equivalents - like mushy peas in a tin. Sorry, but fush n chups absolutely needs mushy peas, not coleslaw But I have "refound" Batchelors quick soak dried peas, which although they seem expensive work out about the same once made, I use half and then freeze half.
    Last edited by RedVee; 24th August 2013 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedVee View Post
    . Sorry, but fush n chups absolutely needs mushy peas, not coleslaw But I have "refound" Batchelors quick soak dried peas, which although they seem expensive work out about the same once made, I use half and then freeze half.
    Useful info we just had the last tin of mushy peas

Simon

Mushy peas sound interesting.

Ooh, yes, I'm with you on the quick exit for mushy peas, Dell, and I've had them - back in the old days, there used to be the 'clear your plate' regime for school dinners, and this was one of the things that I did NOT like.

jn100, I agree that you're going to have to find a different muesli, and/but there are plenty of really good ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Dell View Post
    Mushy peas sound interesting.
    Doesn't it just -)

"Proper" mushy peas are fantastic, not the hard, lumpy things in watery pea juice you probably remember JandM. They've just got a lot more "cheffy" these days - pea puree anyone - or more likely "minted pea puree"?

I can't stand creamed corn, but there is lots of that here. I have found whole, corn on the cob though in vacuum sealed bags and that's worth paying for, you can get in on the barbie where it truly belongs. And I've never, ever got refried beans or dahl. I guess we all have out individual tastes when it comes to mushy veggies/pulses - each to their own.

No... I don't like the taste of mushy peas. To my taste-buds, mushy peas are improper in themselves! The only peas I like are the fresh or frozen vegetable.

I LOVE mushy peas! I think you can make them by boiling peas with baking soda or something like that, but not sure of quantities. I might give it a try!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast