Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Relocation from Auckland to Welly- Suggestions please?

Question Relocation from Auckland to Welly- Suggestions please?

Hello all,

There is a good chance that we might relocate to Wellington by end of October or early November. This would be to join the Wellington office, located in CBD (landmark is Opera House). For this, I seek your suggestions on finding a suitable 2-bedroom rental based on the following priorities, in given order-

1. Good public/private schools for our daughter turning 5 soon
    2. Under 40 min commute time by public transport, with good frequency of bus or train
    3. Mixed neighborhood, with presence of Indian community

Budget is not more than $450/pw, and want rentals which are well insulated and stay dry.

Also, if you can recommend any domestic movers and packers, to transfer our household items and car? Or should we sell the car and buy a new one in Wellington?

Thanks for your inputs!

Regards,
    O

Why not use the Google search engine?.

Look for rentals on trademe.co.nz real estate and also realestate.co.nz both good sites for indicating rentals info. As far as transporting goods and chattels try google as been said by searching for "house moves Auckland to Wellington" it gives quite a lot of the usual suspects as well as some that are not that usual. As far as the car, if its in good nic then drive it down to Wellington you can put in stuff from your house which may cut down on some of your moving costs. Good luck in the move.

Quote Originally Posted by Fern49 View Post
    Why not use the Google search engine?.
    Posted after searching the forum, but did not find anything useful. Maybe you had success with googling?

Quote Originally Posted by catt View Post
    Look for rentals on trademe.co.nz real estate and also realestate.co.nz both good sites for indicating rentals info. As far as transporting goods and chattels try google as been said by searching for "house moves Auckland to Wellington" it gives quite a lot of the usual suspects as well as some that are not that usual. As far as the car, if its in good nic then drive it down to Wellington you can put in stuff from your house which may cut down on some of your moving costs. Good luck in the move.
    I am aware of the mentioned options. Looking for local know-how and personal experiences. For instance, Google search will list movers and packers, but forum members can tell which they found good and any firsthand experience.

Hi Otaku. From other threads in the forum, I think Karori has a bit of an Indian community? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Karori also has Samuel Marsden Collegiate School, a private Anglican girls' school year 1-13. Other top private schools with primary include St Mark's Church School (Anglican coed year 1-8) between Mount Victoria and Mount Cook, and Queen Magaret College (Presbyterian equivalent to Marsden, girls' year 1-13) in Thorndon. Also in Karori is St Teresa's School, decile 10 integrated Catholic. Often choosing a school helps choose a suburb, I hope this helps! Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ellington_City

Quote Originally Posted by pear View Post
    Hi Otaku. From other threads in the forum, I think Karori has a bit of an Indian community? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Karori also has Samuel Marsden Collegiate School, a private Anglican girls' school year 1-13. Other top private schools with primary include St Mark's Church School (Anglican coed year 1-8) between Mount Victoria and Mount Cook, and Queen Magaret College (Presbyterian equivalent to Marsden, girls' year 1-13) in Thorndon. Also in Karori is St Teresa's School, decile 10 integrated Catholic. Often choosing a school helps choose a suburb, I hope this helps! Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ellington_City
    Thanks pear. That is some useful info.

Karori is probably one of the best in my opinion. There are indian contingents in Churton Park, Kilbirnie (Indian Association) and just around the hospital - i forget the name of the suburb. Private schools - you must have money, I sent my daughter for yr 7 & 8 to Samuel Marsden, it's about 15-16 k / yr, then transferred to Wellington Girls.

NZ has a very high standard of public schooling, so it isn't necessary.

Primary Schools that I targeted based on research:
    Karori Normal, Churton Park, and I think Tawa from memory

Karori is about 15-20 mins into CBD on the bus for work. Cheapest parking is 9/day at the stadium.

Lots of people bike, scooter to work. (I don't think Indians are into it)

450 should be ok, you have to work hard at the rental market. The house will determine the school since there are enrollment zones.

I have rented at both 380 and 540 / wk in Karori so it is certainly possible.

Pls PM if you need .

Removal company - The Moving Company were good, the Wellington branch at least. You could get the removal company to bring your stuff and drive your car down to Wellington. Much cheaper and easier option than getting a company to take it or buying a new one in Wellington.

Thanks nativecolo and girlwithanewf for your inputs.

nativecolo: I will get in touch with you before shifting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast