Thread: Transferring Prescriptions

Question Transferring Prescriptions

My eldest son takes medication every day and I was wondering how we would go about transferring his prescription in the move to avoid any interruptions. Thanks!

I, too take medication every day. We travelled for a few months between leaving the UK and arriving in NZ. Before I left the UK I asked my doctor to prescribe extra tablets (it had to be a few separate prescriptions) to ensure that I had enough to last until I had been in NZ for a couple of months as I wanted enough time to get settled and find a doctor, and some extras in case any were lost. I travelled with the tablets in my hand luggage.

Quote Originally Posted by iluvmykiwi View Post
    My eldest son takes medication every day and I was wondering how we would go about transferring his prescription in the move to avoid any interruptions. Thanks!
    You may want to check that the medication / brand is available in NZ as not all are.

Also note that you can bring a maximum of 3 months supply into NZ (with prescription).

Ian

Yeah, I already know the type of medicine he takes is only available in the off-brand, which I'm not crazy about because he doesn't always have the same reactions to it, but until we can work out an alternative with his new doctor in New Zealand there isn't much we can do about it. :/ I didn't know that there was a maximum supply that you could bring in though. Thanks for the heads up!

And Jacqi, we were planning on asking for 3-months supply before leaving, I just wasn't sure how easy/quick it would be to get his prescription re-started over there. Is there a particular period of time that anyone would be able to estimate?

When you sign up with a GP here in NZ you notify them of the medications needed. We had our GP in the UK provide us with a set of our medical notes and we let out new practice have them so that they get a full feel of what we are about health wise, they put all of our stuff on their computer system. It helped no end as hubby is on 5 different medications 2 of which are not supplied in NZ but alternatives were found. The first lot had side effects but where quickly rectified with a different but similar item so now everything is good.

I brought a copy of my prescriptions from my Canadian pharmacy and a letter from my doctor explaining meds, dosage and diagnosis. My new NZ doctor just gave me a local script. One of mine wasn't available in NZ, but the equivalent has worked as well as what I took in Canada.

There are many NZ meds that are subsidized and others that are available here but not subsidized, therefore you pay more. For example, an epi-pen (epinephrine) costs the same in NZ as it does in the US. It is only subsidized to low income families with kids that have anaphylactic allergies. A med that I took in the U.S is not subsidised in NZ. If I want the same med here, I pay $70 for it. However, there is something similar that is subsidised, for $5.

When you arrive in NZ, make sure you carry the prescriptions for your meds. If it is a controlled med, you may be asked to show the written prescription when you go through customs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dell View Post
    For example, an epi-pen (epinephrine) costs the same in NZ as it does in the US. It is only subsidized to low income families with kids that have anaphylactic allergies.
    Epi-pen is not subsidized for anyone; the only "means tested" pharmaceuticals I am aware of are low dose oral contraceptives, which are partially subsidized for everyone, and fully subsidized for those with low incomes. Some lower income persons may be able to get WINZ money to pay for Epi-pens, but this is not Ministry of Health/Pharmac funding.

Note: Epinephrine (Adrenaline in NZ) is funded in a vial, which requires drawing up with a syringe, then injection the old fashioned way. Not the best approach when dying from anaphylaxis, but still better than dying of anaphylaxis.