Thread: CV writing service for resume - is it worth it ?

Default CV writing service for resume - is it worth it ?

Hi All. Mary here. I'm interested to know if anyone has ever used a CV writing or resume writing service before - a professional one. Well.. after moving to New Zealand from the UK I'm going to be applying for my first actual job in NZ after working a few odd jobs.

I might be changing my type of work too, therefore need to re organise my skills and im not feeling too sure about it. And also need a cover letter. Has anyone had any luck with a good service?

I'm excited about finding work here! Really want to maximise my chances of getting a job. Thank you in advance!

Welcome to the forum.

This is a really good site and I used the templates to put my CV together and whilst it hasn't got me a job, it did get me an interview and confirmation from agencies out there that my CV was good.

http://www.careers.govt.nz/how-to-ge...ers/templates/

Good luck with the job hunting.

Ask 10 people how to write a resume and you'll get 12 answers. The examples on the website referred to by mikeandcaroline look good to me. (The work-related one is similar to a standard US format.) I wouldn't hire a service, but that's just me. Go with your gut. Good luck!

Found that the recruitment agencies gave some good advice on CVs as well.

I used that link that mikeandcaroline put up when I first got here and I also wrote a small covering letter to sell myself as I don't think my CV alone could. I got interviews and three job offers, the job I have now is from one of those interviews!! It worked for me

Hi Mary. Welcome to the forum too!

I actually had really good results with one. Hubby and I were applying for a few jobs and even though we are quite good at writing and at first wrote our own using the links someone else gave above, I think we couldnt really grasp what was needed in a good NZ CV . Apparently the formats are quite different to UK and america.

Try King of Cv , give Arthur a call I think their website is still www.kingofcv.co.nz - We both got jobs which was awesome and then my husband had his re written 2 years and got another job. Even our friends down in Wellington have tried them. We shopped around a lot and he gave the most personal service you could say and kept it affordable - very reassuring.

Remember you also have to be regularly applying for jobs etc! Stay positive.
    Last edited by ah19870; 26th September 2013 at 11:30 AM.