Thread: Whangarei impressions

Default Whangarei impressions

I've read the thread on Whangarei, including visiting the website links. Thanks for those. I am looking for real impressions on what it's like to live there as a family (stay at home mom, working dad and 2 preschoolers). My husband is interviewing this week and we would like to have an idea of what daily life is like. I know much of the Whagarei stuff was posted through PMs so anyone who is williing to share their thoughts once more, I'd really appreciate it.
    We are from a suburb of Montreal, Canada.
    Thanks.
    Deborah

Smile

Hello Deborah

I know we have now talked at length through PM's and e-mail, but I just spotted this thread and wanted to extend the invitation to others.

There are only a few of us from the forum who are now in Whangarei and I think I am about the only one who reads and posts regularly.

We have now been here in Whangarei for about 13 months. Eric is an optometrist and I am a stay at home mum with 3 preschoolers.

If there is anyone who is headed to Whangarei or Northland who would like to get in touch then please feel free to PM me.

Best wishes

Amanda

I know I'm going completely off thread here - sorry Amanda and Deborah - but has anyone considered the possibility of linking an 'interactive' map to a thread, so that people could show where they are? I'm not technical at all, but would it be easy to those in the know? It would make it much easier for those of us not yet in NZ to get our geographical bearings of where everyone lives. I've lost could of the number of times I've dug out our reference maps to try to pinpoint roughly where others are. Here in the UK I have a reasonable idea where most places are, but over there I'm well and truly lost.

Just a thought - feel free to shout me down if you don't agree

Emily

Quote Originally Posted by Simon & Emily
    It would make it much easier for those of us not yet in NZ to get our geographical bearings of where everyone lives. I've lost could of the number of times I've dug out our reference maps to try to pinpoint roughly where others are. Here in the UK I have a reasonable idea where most places are, but over there I'm well and truly lost.

Emily

Great idea if its easy to do. One of the things i was talking to our boys about was all of us having to learn new geography when we go to Nz. I have an NZ map on the computer desk for ease of reference. Also its gonna be a nightmare asking for directions because i can't pronounce half the names anyway!

I shouldnt worry too much about how you pronounce things Marcia. A lot of the kiwis I speak to have a similar problem, especially with place names.
    It doesnt help matters when you discover several different locations with the same name.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon & Emily
    I know I'm going completely off thread here - sorry Amanda and Deborah - but has anyone considered the possibility of linking an 'interactive' map to a thread, so that people could show where they are? I'm not technical at all, but would it be easy to those in the know? It would make it much easier for those of us not yet in NZ to get our geographical bearings of where everyone lives. I've lost could of the number of times I've dug out our reference maps to try to pinpoint roughly where others are. Here in the UK I have a reasonable idea where most places are, but over there I'm well and truly lost.
    Emily
    Hello Emily
    You could find your bearings from this website : www.wises.co.nz

OK, here are 2 maps.............

Whangarei is part of Northland and here is another interactive map : http://www.northlandnz.com/about/map.htm

I just saw this on the web, don't know how it works exactly, I faked my way through. Maybe someone else can figure it out a bit more. It looks like you can link photos to maps and have up to 10 photos per map for free:

http://maps.pixagogo.com/maps/start.aspx

This is the map I tried to make - http://maps.pixagogo.com/maps/5988884110

Another good site for maps : http://www.expedia.com/pub/agent.dll?qscr=mmfn

This is how you do it.........

1. Go to the section : Search for a place
    2. Select : World (topographic maps)
    3. Type : place name
    4. Click : Find a map