Thread: Converting Residence visa to PR

Default Converting Residence visa to PR

Hi. I'm sure this has been answered before. But i need help with a query about converting Residence visa to PR. Asking this on behalf of my sister.

After grant of her Resident Visa she first arrived in NZ for a 2 week stay in November 2011 .

She returned to NZ in December 2012 and has been living in NZ ever since.

Now she wants to apply for her PR (Indefinite Returning Visa).

Is it mandatory for her to have been in New Zealand for 184 days or more in each of the 12-month portions of the
    24 months immediately preceding this application.

How early can she be eligible to apply for her IRV?

My guess is her application for PR will only be successful if she stays in NZ atleast until June 2014 - thereby completing her 2nd 184 day period? Kindly correct me if i am wrong.

Please advice

Is it mandatory for her to have been in New Zealand for 184 days or more in each of the 12-month portions of the
    24 months immediately preceding this application.
    Yes, if she's using criterion 1 here. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm

You have to count two years backwards from the application date, then count days EXACTLY within each 12-month period. So assuming application on June 30th, 2014: from then back to June 30th, 2013 is one year, and if she was in NZ all the time, no problem. (It would have to be a minimum of 184 days.) Back from June 30th, 2013 to June 30th, 2012 is the second year, and if she was in NZ for at least 184 days of that year, she will have qualified.

Thank You for replying. Just need a small clarification.

Quoting from the "Requirements for a permanent resident visa" page - http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm

Established base in New Zealand

You have been in New Zealand as a resident for a total of at least 41 days in the 12-month period immediately before lodging your permanent resident visa application, and all members of your immediate family who were included in your residence application have resided in New Zealand for a total of at least 184 days in the two-year period immediately before lodging your permanent resident visa application.

Would this mean 184 days in a 2 year period OR 184 days in EACH of the 2 year period

The absence of the word EACH on the Immigration NZ website just got me confused.

I agree with JandM on the 1st criterion requirement for PR visa.She needs 184 days in each two year periods...but as for established base criterion the secondary applicants require a total of 184 days in the TOTAL 2 year period (not in each year)

Quote Originally Posted by sak30 View Post

Quoting from the "Requirements for a permanent resident visa" page - http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm

You have been in New Zealand as a resident for a total of at least 41 days in the 12-month period immediately before lodging your permanent resident visa application, and all members of your immediate family who were included in your residence application have resided in New Zealand for a total of at least 184 days in the two-year period immediately before lodging your permanent resident visa application.

Would this mean 184 days in a 2 year period OR 184 days in EACH of the 2 year period

The absence of the word EACH on the Immigration NZ website just got me confused.

Quote Originally Posted by sak30 View Post

The section you have quoted is from a different criterion from the one your sister intends to use.

On that page about Requirements for PR, everyone needs to take notice of the top paragraph, but then only ONE (their choice) of the Commitment to New Zealand criteria. Your sister is going to use '1. You have spent enough time in New Zealand.' So the part you have been looking at, and quoted there, does not concern her at all. Sections 2, 3, 4 and 5 can be ignored, in her case.