Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Qualified UK Electrician Without Experience

Default Qualified UK Electrician Without Experience

Hello everyone

I would be grateful to gather some info and opinions on the following scenario:

My husband re trained last year as an electrician in the UK. We would like to move to New Zealand, although our intention was to wait until my husband had some experience as an electrician first. However, we live in one of the worst unemployment blackspots in the UK, and so far he has not succeeded in finding any electricians work. He currently works as a restaurant manager, and I run a virtual assistants business from home, so I can work anywhere.

We are investigating how realistic it would be for us to relocate to New Zealand if we are eligible for an initial temporary work visa, then he could take the necessary steps to gain New Zealand registration as an electrician, and then to find a job once there. I know there is a real shortage of electricians right now in NZ, but I don't know what chance he has of being taken on without experience.

Thanks in advance for any advice :-)

A new electrician earns about $35000 starting salary, rising to around $50000 after three to five years. He probably would have no problem getting taken on, especially near Christchurch, but that's not a huge salary when renting. You need to get some advice if you are planning to run a business that earns its money in the UK whilst based in NZ, it gets a bit messy.

You can get more on employment outlooks by skilled category on the Department of Labour website.

if we are eligible for an initial temporary work visa
    The requirements for a temporary work visa include having a job offer. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra.../requirements/

Sorry if this doesn't apply, but it might help to know. If you are under the age limit for a WHV (up to age 30), that visa gives you the right to start working at any job offered, and get a foot in the door. If you're over 30 but under 35, you could do the same thing on a BUNAC IEP visa. http://www.bunac.org/uk/work-abroad/...-zealand/visas

Default electrical registration template EWB

Hi JandM, I have been going through your past posts and just saw a thread dated 10th oct 2010 where you helped a member with a so called template for EWB registration.
    I have recently moved to NZ and intend submitting my electrical work experience. I have been a Marine Electrician, working on large ships but have also worked ashore as an electrician. My qualifications are Higher National diploma (HND) EDEXCEL UK in electrical/electronics engineering .
    would appreciate your "template" or sample letter to get me going.
    I did submit an initial letter, not knowing what was required and received a reply saying I must provide details of maintenance of fittings relating to conductors/works/installations and maintenance of appliances along with the disconnection and connection of fittings , appliances to a power supply etc. Details of no less than 6 months multi phase training/experience on appliances or fittings. Thanks .

It will arrive in your PMs.

Great thank you for your replies, some useful info.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    It will arrive in your PMs.
    Hi Jandi,
    I have been going through the electricians posts for foreign workers. I wonder if the electrician course is open for overseas workers. I have 2 years work experience in Australian plumbing company which does mainly on maintenance or installation of hot water/ solar systems on commercial and residential ones on gas fittings, electrical connections and water fittings. I got the hands-on experience but lack of theory knowledge on the area and really liked the work as a tradesmen. I am in early 30s and like to know my options before doing a quick career switch in construction trades. I wonder if I apply a National Certificate or Certificate in Electrical Engineering course whether is qualified for EWRB electrician's registration or not. What sort of visa is available for me? As student visa, I can only apply 20 hours work in school week and full time in school break terms (this may restricts my clocking hours of 8000 hours as a registered electrician). Which institutions are good to get certs from in wellington area? How do I get into the apprenticeship program and the job market in electrical worker?

Sorry for asking too many questions but wanted to make if this option is still viable for me.

I think your best option for some answers is to look for people who replied to previous questions about being an electrician in NZ. When you have made five posts on the forum, you will be able to send them a PM. I don't know the details - I just hold the information that was passed on to help in the application. Another thing you could do is contact the EWRB and ask them.

thanks for advice

Hi JandM,

My partner is applying to have his qualifications and experience as an electrician and we have been struggling with what is needed for this. Would it be possible to get a copy of your template to help us out? It would be very much appreciated.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast