Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Toploader washing machine, robinhood supertub, flooded garage!

Default Help! Toploader washing machine, robinhood supertub, flooded garage!

Help! Just moved into a new (rented) place and trying to use the laundry. The result is a flooded garage, and I'm really not sure how/why!

Put everything in f&p toploader, set it to run (Eco, warm, auto water level)
    It kept bleeping, and didn't start. Eventual discovery that turning "washing machine" taps on the neighbouring Robinhood "supertub" started it going. Returned half an hour later to find water all over garage floor.

What might we have done wrong??
    What's the supertub for, and is using that the likely culprit?
    How does one use a toploader machine?? (I've never come across one in my puff.)

Any help welcomed, at a very wet loss!

Oh no! How awful for you

It sounds like my laundry set-up, I also have a F&P top loader next to a laundry tub. The drainage hose from my machine hooks over the side of the tub and drains into the tub. Maybe you missed this bit? It would explain the water on the floor.

Yes, I would second the idea that it has something to do with the drainage hose.

A hose connected to your tap will provide water to your washing machine. There should also be a drainage hose coming off your washing machine and is probably connected to your drain under the sink. If its not there, where does your water drain?

The super tubs serve as the connector between the washing machine and the plumbing. There's a link here: http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18757

My Fisher & Paykel washing machine heats its own water. When the appliance guy installed it he explained how the super tub supplies water to the washing machine - but as it only needed cold water, he disconnected the hot water tap to the washer so that I couldn't turn it on accidentally. Perhaps this is what happened with yours?

Thanks for the link, thats useful- and to everyone for comments. Transpires the leak was a loose hose, owners had knocked it when moving something else. We now own a mop, but hopefully won't need to use it for the garage again.

What I still don't understand is if I need to turn on the 'washing machine' taps in the supertub each time I want to use the washing machine, or if it just draws it automatically. I've tried searching for an answer, but not found one (at least obviously) yet.

Quote Originally Posted by emmaB View Post
    Thanks for the link, thats useful- and to everyone for comments. Transpires the leak was a loose hose, owners had knocked it when moving something else. We now own a mop, but hopefully won't need to use it for the garage again.

What I still don't understand is if I need to turn on the 'washing machine' taps in the supertub each time I want to use the washing machine, or if it just draws it automatically. I've tried searching for an answer, but not found one (at least obviously) yet.
    How are your taps set up? My hoses go to a side bit on the top of the tap. If I turn the top bit of the tap, the water only goes to the washing machine. If I turn the bottom bit of the tap, the water also flows into the sink from the faucet. Can you use your faucets while the machine is hooked to tap? If so, then you can leave the washing machine taps on. I turn mine off at night and when I'm not going to be using the machine because it has a tiny little drip but leave it on all day when I'm washing frequently.

I leave the washing machine taps on all the time in the tub beside our top loader. No leaks so far!

I also leave my tap (just the cold) on all the time....but you've reminded me that perhaps when I leave for an extended period of time, that I might turn it off! Glad you solved the problem.

I prefer the supertub to the system I had in the U.S. where the taps were behind the stacking front-loading washer/dryer. I couldn't turn the taps off without pulling the machines out from the wall. Now it is really easy to shut off the water if there is a leak.

However I don't like the kiwi method of hanging the dryer upside down above the washer. I bought a matching Fisher & Paykel dryer which they say are not stackable. I googled it and found that a lot of people stack their F&P washer/dryers by putting a non-slip mat on top of the washer and sitting the dryer on top. A $15 rubber welcome mat at Warehouse and problem solved! So far, the dryer has not shifted at all.
    Last edited by Dell; 3rd September 2013 at 08:32 PM.

You connect a washing machine - top or front load - in NZ in the same way as in the US. There is no trick to a top loading washer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast