Thread: Driving licence question in relation to working

Default Driving licence question in relation to working

Hi all

Not sure if this is the best place to ask this question but I am trying to work out if I can drive for work purposes on my UK licence ( I know its only valid for 12months), just cars and LCV's. I am a full UK licence holder (pre jan 97 so have the full entitlement including 16seat mini bus, and 7500kg with additional braked trailer etc)
    I have worked in the motor trade most of my life so its kind of essential, what I have worked out is the standard NZ licence doesn't cover recovery vehicles which my UK one does.

Thanks jim

You can certainly drive a light vehicle on your overseas license for work purposes during its 12-month validity in NZ -- I was assigned a company vehicle on arrival, and operating it on a US-issued license was never questioned. I'm not sure, however, about the validity of overseas license endorsements, as I had none and needed none. Others will be along to answer that part of your question, I'm sure.

I only know what I was told atthe AA office and never really looked into it too much as I decided I was not going to use my HGV or PCV out here (class 1 and 2 ) but if I wanted to transfer them I would have to re-sit a test and get a new medical. I decided it was something I was not going to use out here so I never bothered. I was only allowed to transfer my car and motorbike at no extra cost or test!!

Look on this link - it may help

http://www.aa.co.nz/drivers/driver-licences/

Thanks for the replies, how I have read it is I can drive anything my normal UK car licence covers. Will just stick with that still someone tells me otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by jimmytsausage View Post
    Thanks for the replies, how I have read it is I can drive anything my normal UK car licence covers. Will just stick with that still someone tells me otherwise

I would still do your own homework just in case Mr Policeman stops you - I don't think saying to Mr Policeman "the people on the forum said so' ha ha

Please don't quote me, but i have always been led to believe that unless you hold a HGV Licence Class 4/5 NZ then you lose your entitlement on the 7.5tonne side of things, as pre 96 you could hold a 7.5t entitlement on a car licence in UK. I drive class 4/5 here and this is something that the transport industry informed me on as OH holds 7.5t entitlement on her UK licence