Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is October-January time frame not good for job seekers?

Default Is October-January time frame not good for job seekers?

Dear all, Due to change in my plan I will be flying to NZ next month. I could stay there only for 4 months from Oct - Jan.

I am concerned about this time frame being late of the year and full of public holidays...Do employers in NZ stop hiring during this time? or would it be more difficult to find a job in comparison to other timings of the year? If you have any experience please share. Your sharing would be of great help.

I am in IT industry with 10+ years of experience in Systems and software testing. And have worked for big MNCs such as IBM.

Thanks,
    Klt

Do employers in NZ stop hiring during this time? or would it be more difficult to find a job in comparison to other timings of the year?
    Basically, yes. Most places will have only a skeleton staff over the holiday period (mid December till the first week in February, roughly), with total closure for a lot over Christmas/New Year, so there will be no certain access to the decision makers during that time. And before that, there's a winding down, to leave the place without loose ends for the quiet time to come.

Sorry to give the bad news, but evidently, you half knew the answer anyway. You are going to need to be VERY active as soon as you arrive.

Hiring slows down during December to January, and picks up around March. Reason being, Christmas/New Year closedown and people (or hiring managers) on vacation, as it is the best time of the year. Heck, even recruitment agents might not be reachable.

Having said that, companies try to fill up the position by end of October, otherwise it would drag on till February. I think, going by the movement in my circle of friends, hiring is full swing now.

Just to add to the above that this holiday period is also the school shut-down period for the summer holidays, which is another reason why so many staff are off over this period.

Ian

Gosh..it is real bad. A big mistake in my life.

I arrived last October 31st and had no problem getting multiple interviews and a job offer in November. It definitely shuts down for December and January but October and November should be ok. From my experience the interviews and offers I had in November were all for positions that started in mid-January.

It is a bonus to available in October because not many candidates are available

It really depends on how much you are prepared before you arrive...

If you have already contacted your potential employers/recruitment companies ..there is a high chance that you will be able to secure a job.

Therefore, you still have a month to research & announce your arrival to employers/agents to schedule your interview.

Best of Luck !

I can't speak for your specific job but a lot of people hire in October and November to get new people in before the slow down time.

Thanks guys for the comments.All those comments really help me in one way or the other. Anyway I am making my way out to NZ in early October and let's see how it goes. I will keep you all posted. Last week I sent my resume to couple recruiting agencies and they came back so fast within barely 15 minutes saying they were sorry and blah blah...Looking at their requirements my skill sets were good match ...even not perfect match they could have considered to give a try for interview or something. Was such instantaneous negative response all because of I am being out of NZ? I have also clearly mentioned that I would be in NZ in early Oct.

I have followed the NZ style resume format so I think resume wise it should not be a problem.

Comments appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast