Thread: Best place to live in Wellington

Default Best place to live in Wellington

Hi,
    Me and my boyfriend are moving to Wellington in October. Just wondering where is a good suburb to live? Ideally either walking distance (no more than 1 hour walk) to the CBD, or must be close to good public transport. I've been looking at rental properties online and we don't really want to spend more than $350-400 per week for a 1-2 bedroom place. Things that are important to us are: having some shops close by for groceries etc, maybe a pub or 2, living in a safe neighbourhood. I'm also a little worried about earthquakes after the recent one that took place. Are there particular areas that are safer in terms of tremor strength etc?
    Also, do many people cycle in Wellington? Or is it too hilly?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks

Have a look at trademe.co.nz for rental properties.
    For earthquake risks look at this map: http://www.gw.govt.nz/assets/Emergen...wellington.pdf
    Lots of people cycle in Wellington, especially round the bays.
    Most places in Wellington city are accessible to the CBD by bus so even if it looks far, it doesn't take that long. And the majority of places are safe.

Hi, we'll be looking for something similar about the same time as you!
    Except we need to find somewhere away from roads as our cats are coming with us!
    Not looking yet though, accommodation is sorted by partner's future employer to start with and we're still sorting so many things this side!!!

Hi there,
    We are a Kiwi/British couple who moved back to NZ from London a while ago. I'm not sure how old you are and how much you are into going to pubs/clubs etc, but if this is something that you are interested in I would recommend Mt Vic, Oriental Bay and Kelburn (if you're wealthy), Te Aro, Brooklyn, possibly Thorndon (although closer to the fault line), Wadestown, Northland, Brooklyn, Hataitai, Roseneath and possibly Newtown although this is a bit more edgy (with a more multicultural feel, but more homeless people). It really depends on where you work. Look at metlink.co.nz to see where the train lines and bus routes are located as parking in town is expensive (although parking at Westpac Stadium is not too bad if you work at that end of town). We lived in Roseneath when we first got back which was quite flashy but we lost the sun at lunch time as our house was facing south. Try to find a sunny, north facing property if at all possible - there are far too many damp, south facing properties in Wellington. If you're thinking of starting a family soon, consider Ngaio, Khandallah, Karori, Island Bay, Brooklyn, Northland.

We're a family of 4 in Newtown and we quite love it here. It's diversity and more bohemian feel is what we like