Thread: Daughter with Development Delay

Default Daughter with Development Delay

Hi there,

We came over to NZ for 6 months. During that time we decided we wanted to try and stay. My husband got a job quickly and was granted a 3 year work visa. I was then granted a work visa for the same length of time. My son (3.5 yrs) was granted an extended visitor visa. These were all granted within a couple of weeks. Our daughter (4.5 yrs) has Moderate Global Development Delay and it took 5 months to be granted an extension of 6 months to her visitor visa. The reason it is not for longer is that she is due to start school (we plan for her to start in late Jan 2014).

When her extended visitor visa was issued we were told that on applying for her student visa we would have to supply a 'Updated Cognitive Status'. We supplied a recent pediatric report, a letter from her daycare teacher (she is in full time care) and a letter from her Speech and Language therapist (we arranged this privately).

Yesterday we received a letter from INZ saying that it is likely that she will qualify for Ongoing Resource Funding when she goes to school and they have estimated the likely cost would be $17,000 per year. They have said that we can provide further information (e.g. an opinion from a suitably qualified professional). It goes on to say that if we provide an opinion that disputes the original assessment it will be forwarded to the assessor for consideration.

They also say that if we do not provide any further information it is unlikely they will approve her application.

They do make reference to 'severe' developmental delay but her diagnosis is 'moderate' development delay so we think we should employ a private pediatrician to assess and make comment. We also think that we should employ a immigration consultant to help and advise.

It is also worth mentioning that an application for residency (through skilled migrant category) was submitted in July. Does this mean we could go for a medical waiver?

Is anyone able recommend a consultant who would be helpful in this specific area?

All advice would greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much

Esther

I don't have any knowledge to help, but send you all good wishes.

Hi Esther,

Any update on your child's status? I am also planning to apply in new zealand but my daughter (11) have cognitive delay. Though she's very independent and no health issues. only learning ability in which right now on a level of K2 or P1 I think.

Cheers,
    Boggz

Hi,
    Esther has not been on this forum since Sept 2013 so may not see this, however if you make 5 posts on here then you will be able to use the pm system and she may well respond

Quote Originally Posted by esthershimmin View Post
    Hi there,

We came over to NZ for 6 months. During that time we decided we wanted to try and stay. My husband got a job quickly and was granted a 3 year work visa. I was then granted a work visa for the same length of time. My son (3.5 yrs) was granted an extended visitor visa. These were all granted within a couple of weeks. Our daughter (4.5 yrs) has Moderate Global Development Delay and it took 5 months to be granted an extension of 6 months to her visitor visa. The reason it is not for longer is that she is due to start school (we plan for her to start in late Jan 2014).

When her extended visitor visa was issued we were told that on applying for her student visa we would have to supply a 'Updated Cognitive Status'. We supplied a recent pediatric report, a letter from her daycare teacher (she is in full time care) and a letter from her Speech and Language therapist (we arranged this privately).

Yesterday we received a letter from INZ saying that it is likely that she will qualify for Ongoing Resource Funding when she goes to school and they have estimated the likely cost would be $17,000 per year. They have said that we can provide further information (e.g. an opinion from a suitably qualified professional). It goes on to say that if we provide an opinion that disputes the original assessment it will be forwarded to the assessor for consideration.

They also say that if we do not provide any further information it is unlikely they will approve her application.

They do make reference to 'severe' developmental delay but her diagnosis is 'moderate' development delay so we think we should employ a private pediatrician to assess and make comment. We also think that we should employ a immigration consultant to help and advise.

It is also worth mentioning that an application for residency (through skilled migrant category) was submitted in July. Does this mean we could go for a medical waiver?

Is anyone able recommend a consultant who would be helpful in this specific area?

All advice would greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much

Esther

Getting ORS funding for any child is incredibly difficult. I,d suggest you get in touch with you local primary school and see if they can recommend an educational psychologist who might be able to offer an opinion or report as to whether you child would qualify for ORS funding. Hopefully they won't!
    Last edited by ChrisMwn; 28th February 2015 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by boggz View Post
    Hi Esther,

Any update on your child's status? I am also planning to apply in new zealand but my daughter (11) have cognitive delay. Though she's very independent and no health issues. only learning ability in which right now on a level of K2 or P1 I think.

Cheers,
    Boggz
    Boggz, I think that a lot will depend on the sort of support that your daughter receives now. Is she in a mainstream classroom? What sort of extra help does she get? If it would be equivalent to ORS funding here, then they will assume that she will qualify for ORS funding and refuse her visa. At that point, you can apply for a medical waiver and it will depend on how they assess your potential contribution vs. her potential cost.