Thread: 110v lamps

Default 110v lamps

Does anyone have experience with converting 110v US lamps to NZ 220? Is it worth it? I have some nice lamps that I would like to take, and I'm also trying to minimize stuff I have to sell which is, of course, financially disastrous. Thanks.

My parents did this many years ago going when we went back to the UK for a year. I think my dad just snipped off the plug and wired up the new plug. Then again, he is an electrical engineer. Obviously, you'll need new bulbs, but other than that most lamps should be straight forward.

Doubling the voltage should cut the amperage in half. For example, for a 100 watt bulb, in the US you'd draw about 0.9 amps. At 220 volts, you'll be drawing around 0.45 amps, which is less of a burden on the insulation (i.e. safer).
    However, most indoor lamps in the US don't have the third, ground, wire. If you need to add that, then all bets are off, go to an electrician.

Also, if it is a three way, complicated wiring (e.g. chandelier) or has any kind of electrical circuitry, then I'd consult an electrician.

Probably a good idea to consult a local electrician in NZ for all your electrical questions, just to be safe. I'm sure you can get your lamps converted, it just might take a little work and money (besides plug swaps).
    Last edited by Alistair; 4th September 2013 at 07:49 AM. Reason: readability

Technically you can just change the plug but U.S. wiring is lighter than N.Z. I played it safe and had an electrician rewire the lamps.

It's easier than all that...nip off the US plug, replace it with a kiwi plug and buy a new kiwi bulb for an "Edison" socket. The plugs and bulbs are available at any Bunnings, Mega10 or other hdwe store.

These answers are very helpful and make me think I should take the lamps. Thanks to all.