Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skilled Migrant Category VS Residence From Work difference?

Default Skilled Migrant Category VS Residence From Work difference?

Hi Guys,

Except for the condition of 2 year in NZ. What else is the difference? Does both ways goes to the same Residency? With or without conditions?

Cheers,
    Gil

You will end up with the same Residence.

Conditions CAN be placed on any visa, but in practice, the one most often heard of is a Section 49(1) condition on a Residence visa, IF a person has applied under SMC, with a job offer as part of the application. In that case the condition will be that the applicant must take up the offer promptly upon arriving in NZ, and stay in that job for three months - if they go to INZ and show proof they have done that and are still employed there, the condition will be removed and they will then have their Residence clear of conditions.

... also, if you are on a WTR visa like yours, and you have an annual salary of $90K or more, you can go straight to permanent residence after 2 years and cut out the residence stage. It's also quite a bit cheaper as you don't have the EOI stage at $510 and the Residence from Work Visa fee is $930 instead of $1810. It can all help! Cheers. Karen

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Phillips View Post
    ... also, if you are on a WTR visa like yours, and you have an annual salary of $90K or more, you can go straight to permanent residence after 2 years and cut out the residence stage. It's also quite a bit cheaper as you don't have the EOI stage at $510 and the Residence from Work Visa fee is $930 instead of $1810. It can all help! Cheers. Karen
    You still have to pay the migrant levy for residence from work visas as well.

... absolutely correct - but the amount is the same via either route.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Phillips View Post
    ... absolutely correct - but the amount is the same via either route.
    Just pointing it out in case the original poster hadn't realised that. It's a hefty amount to pay when you have been working and paying taxes in NZ for 2 years on a work to residence visa and then suddenly they want some extra money from you in addition to the visa fees.

Hi all,

My name is Luan. I'd like to ask a bit about processing time for Permanent Resident (PR) Visa.
    Currently, I am working in Japan. I got a job offer in New Zealand in biotechnology industry and I will start working there next year. Once my contract and working time is determined, I probably need to apply for a working visa to go to NZ (within the next three months). I also want to apply for permanent resident visa once I get there.
    As I understand, there are two ways: I can either apply under 1) Skilled Migrant Category(SMC) or 2) Work to Residence (WTR) (residence from work, probably same, except that I was already in NZ).
    The WTR required 2 years of staying and working in NZ and SMC required 2 weeks of EOI plus 6 to 9 months processing time.
    Therefore, it seems that I can get a PR visa quicker (within one year) if I apply for SMC.
    Is this correct? Is it ok if I apply for SMC when I am holding a WTR?
    Thank you. Luan.

Please note, PR is not the same as Residence. You can get Residence, either from applying under the SMC, or by going for a Work To Residence visa and qualifying after two years. And Residence From Work is the application someone who originally had WTR puts in, when they have been in NZ for two years and want to get their Residence. Note, the processing under SMC may not be as quick as 6 to 9 months, because INZ do not prioritize working on applications for people who are already in NZ on some kind of work visa (either WTR or a temporary work visa). Often, they don't put the Residence through until the applicant's work visa is about to expire.

Permanent Residence is a different visa which you can qualify for after having held Residence for a minimum of two years. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm

Thank you JandM for your information!
    Just a confirmation, in my case, I need to apply for a WTR visa first to work in NZ and after 2 years working, I can apply for Residence visa, and then stay for another 2 years to apply for PR. Is that right? And what about the annual salary $90K condition mentioned above for cutting out the residence stage, I could not find any information about that.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by NLuan View Post
    Just a confirmation, in my case, I need to apply for a WTR visa first to work in NZ and after 2 years working, I can apply for Residence visa, and then stay for another 2 years to apply for PR. Is that right?
    Basically, yes, that's right, unless you meet the salary condition to go straight to PR.
    And what about the annual salary $90K condition mentioned above for cutting out the residence stage, I could not find any information about that.
    Thank you.
    The details are here. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...iworkfromresi/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast