Thread: ISSL- chances for residency

Default ISSL- chances for residency

Hi folks!!!

Hope you'll forgive me for skipping "introduction section",I'll do it here instead!

So, my name is Milan as you can guess from my nickname. 28 years old Croatian citizen. I been in NZ for 22 months now, and hope to stay here for a long term.
    Reason for starting this thread is that I'm becoming a little bit frustrated with all the informations about getting residency here, which are quite contradictory. Because I'm still not 2yrs on the job, I didn't get any professional help yet, nor immigration agent, nor shrink...

I work as a skydiving tandem master for a company on the south island. That job is on the ISSL.
    Just few months ago I got my 2nd work visa. First one was worth for 12 months, this new one is for 24 months. Next June it will be two years since I'm doing this and my EOI calculation is about 120 points.

Because NZ Skydiving School started to operate few years ago this job is not anymore on the LTSSL; no more easy residency. But fact is that most Kiwis after they gain some experience are going to work in Aussie, so quite large percent of tandem masters are foreigners. Its pretty easy to get work visa, but I don't want to be on a work visa forever.

Do you guys have any tips on this issue???
    Anyone had similar experience?

Cheers, M

Hello.

How sure are you about your 120 points? Because if you put in an EOI with 100 points or over and a skilled job/job offer, it will be immediately selected at the next draw.

And your job (452317 Other Sports Coach or Instructor) IS on the list of skilled occupations at the INZ Operational Manual Appendix 6, in section C. If you follow the link at the top of that list, it takes you to the regulations for exactly what can count as a skilled occupation. It's here. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/46411.htm
    The occupation is included in part C of the List of Skilled Occupations held at Appendix 6 and the principal applicant can demonstrate that their offer of employment or current employment substantially matches the description for that occupation (including core tasks) as set out in the ANZSCO and has either:
    at least three years of relevant recognised work experience and a relevant recognised qualification which is at, or above, level four on the NZQF (see SM14.5) (a qualification at level four on the NZQF must be a National Certificate or a New Zealand Certificate); or
    at least three years of relevant recognised work experience and that current employment or the position in which the employment is offered, has an annual base salary of at least NZ$45,000.Note: For the avoidance of doubt, the annual base salary excludes employment related allowances (for example overtime, tool or uniform allowances, medical insurance, accommodation) and must be calculated on the basis of 40 hours' work per week.
    It therefore seems to depend on whether you hold the kind of qualifications they mention, whether or not you could apply straight away, but even if you don't have those, you could after three years of doing the work qualify in any case, depending on your salary level.

Thank you for the quick reply. I really appreciate it!

Point that I have at the moment are 105:

30 points: 20-29 years
    60 points: working in a skilled job in New Zealand for more than 12 months
    10 points: work in a region outside Auckland
    5 points: one year work experience in New Zealand

but after next May I'll be able to get additional 15 point for:

10 points: 2 years Work experience in skilled employment
    10 points: 2 years work experience in New Zealand

Hope I calculated that correctly.

I gain my TM rating in NZ 15 months ago. I done that with TM examiner who is licensed by NZ Parachute Industry Association, and NZPIA is working under NZ Civil Aviation Authority. It's not recognized as equivalent to Diploma in Commercial Skydiving by NZQA.

As I said before, got my 2 years contract and 2 years visa in May.

I work as a contractor for the company, and some average salary is between 55 and 65K per year.

You've been very helpful and gave me some glance of light...

M

The points you are claiming look good to me.

So what level does NZQA give for the NZPIA Tandem Master qualification?

None, unfortunately...

That's odd. It's a demanding skills-and-knowledge based course. Did you put in for assessment, or could it be that nobody has asked them, so there's no record of it?

Hmmm, good point, I'll check out that in next few days...