Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to put in the 3 month bag?

Default What to put in the 3 month bag?

What things did you pack to tide you over until your container arrived taking into account:

- we'll be looking for accommodation and a car when we arrive so chasing down basic household things won't be a priority
    - as environmentalists it goes against the grain to buy a second X when we have one already

So while taking into account we know we can buy whatever we need, but lacking the time and the will to do that, what are the essentials aside from clothes/shoes/laptop/essential documents and toiletries?
    We'll be in a furnished appart to start with then the plan is an unfurnished house.
    Thanks for sharing your ideas!

If you are going to be in an unfurnished house before the container arrives then here are a few suggestions:
    Clothes
    Swimming stuff
    Towels
    Tea towels
    Cutlery for each person
    Very basic kitchen stuff - peeler, knives etc (you can do without a corkscrew unless you are looking at the more expensive wines)
    Needle and thread
    Scissors
    Torch
    Maybe a game like scrabble
    Duvet and bed linen - it sounds a lot but it is possible to fit a duvet and bed linen, clothes etc into a 23kg allowance. Not pillows as well though.
    A lightweight pan
    Mugs

It is really painful having to buy stuff to use whilst you are waiting for the container, the reality is that you will probably end up buying extra stuff to cook with as you just can't take it all in the suitcases. You can get cheap stuff in charity shops - called op shops in NZ, so you can use that then give it back once your stuff comes. Or be a typical expat family with two cheese graters.

I always think it is better to take fewer clothes and stuff the suitcase full of stuff you would have to buy.
    Don't bother taking too many books to read at first, Wellington has a great library for books/DVDs/CDs/magazines -although you do need proof of address and the name of another person in Wellington I think for some obscure reason.
    It is quite amazing how much stuff actually fits in 23kg and 7kg hand luggage plus a handbag or laptop bag! Not forgetting the tricks of the trade, such as camera round your neck, wearing your heaviest shoes, wearing layers and having a coat with lots of pockets.... And you can always post stuff.

All the best.

thanks for the list girlwithanewf, some good ideas.
    I'd wondered about putting some knives in the suitcase but wasn't sure about it! Don't want to worry anyone at the airport!
    And funnily enough we'd had a discussion about putting in a pan or not.
    Very pleased to know the library is well resourced, I'm sure we'll visit lots.
    I'd like to feel excited but still busy working full time and training up my replacement, then all this planning/sorting at home...no time!!

We have travelled with knives in suitcases a few times and no problems. We put a stick blender thing in the suitcase as well. I think there is an old thread about this on the forum somewhere.

ooo great thread! following along!

We went to an Op shop for cutlery and crockery basics and then just gave them back when our container arrived. I've seen expats pay it forward too by donating their cheap stuff, bought on arrival to tide them over, to the next new arrivals. It is a pain managing without stuff, but it's also a kind of eye opening experience seeing what you can do without. I'm biased toward bringing nothing because I hate faffing with luggage.

Quote Originally Posted by wellywearer View Post
    thanks for the list girlwithanewf, some good ideas.
    I'd wondered about putting some knives in the suitcase but wasn't sure about it! Don't want to worry anyone at the airport!
    And funnily enough we'd had a discussion about putting in a pan or not.
    Very pleased to know the library is well resourced, I'm sure we'll visit lots.
    I'd like to feel excited but still busy working full time and training up my replacement, then all this planning/sorting at home...no time!!

We brought knives through in a suitcase as long as you declare them you will be fine. We declared ours and they let us through without looking at them .
    One thing I think you will need to buy over here is a kettle. I have no idea what I would do without my teas and coffees lol mind you we did not bring a kettle over as it was quite old so we got a new one over here and gave our old one to a friend who had an even older one than we did lol

I always travel with a knife and scissors in my luggage, removed from my bag that goes in the cabin, and there's never been any query.

I sent a red plastic tub in my container - marked so I could find it easily. It had everything I needed while unpacking the big boxes. As others suggested, scissors, torch, a box cutter, toilet tissue, a small pillow and sheets, tape, a set of basic cutlery, can opener, paring knife, bowl and plate, pliers, small hammer, roll of paper towels, a few nails, tape measure, telephones, bar of soap, cup for tea, salt/pepper.

For those coming from the US, your digital phones will work here with a plug adaptor. A plug in landline will also work here but the part that fits into the wall jack is different. You can buy a new line that goes from your phone to the wall at Dick Smith or Warehouse.

Any medicines that you need(and maybe extra panadol, ibuprofen etc), slippers for older/wooden floors if you like warm feet, sunscreen, sunhats(weather getting warmer), bugspray, and essential toiletries. Documents you may need for work etc. Camera!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast