Thread: Moving by holidays season

Default Moving by holidays season

Is that a good decision to move early in November just before holidays season starts? I intend to move to Auckland alone to start searching a suitable job and worried about timing. Other option is to wait till February 2014 which is not desired for me as I intend to bring family and children can join school. Sure I have to be there earlier to arrange work/home. Any suggestion?
    Last edited by khaled; 11th September 2013 at 04:57 AM.

for us, cost is a factor so we will be moving in the fall/winter when flights, house rentals, car rentals etc are cheaper.

Hi. It's not the ideal time of year to start looking for work. It depends how long it takes. You should be okay until mid December, after which, not a lot happens until mid- January. However, now you have a visa and a date to be in NZ, you may well find prospective employers are much more interested in you, even before you are there in person. Make sure you add your visa status and availability to the very top of your CV and cover letter and any emails! Cheers. Karen

We arrived here beginning of December. From a job search point of view, I would not recommend this at all. Everyone goes into hybernation until the beginning of school, almost.

From the kids' point of view, it was okay: they started at their school to do the last six weeks, which meant no pressure as they were almost wind down mode. It also meant they knew a few people to get together with over the long holidays As they mix all the classes new anyway at the beginning of the school year, it meant there were a number of familiar faces, but lots of new ones as well starting the new year.

So l just from my experience, if you can afford to come before the holidays and actually use the time as a holiday to start job searching in earnest in February, it seems to be a good way to do it. Worked out well for us.

Daniela