Thread: Help with Skype Interview

Lightbulb Help with Skype Interview

Hi All,

I am new here, i just submitted my EOI last 2 week with 110 points w/o a job offer. Understand that The chance of getting selected are slim, thus currently i am searching for a job in NZ

Last week i was contacted by Fisher & Paykel and the HR lady asking about my details and some question. So she said she will schedule a skype interview. This is my first job interview by NZ company and i am quite nervous and didnt have any idea how it should go. I hope someone who have this experience in this forum can help (what type of question ( technical? What words to use/not to use? what if they ask question i cant answer, what should i say?) thanks alot

Btw, i am in manufacturing field. I hope i can nail this, assuming that they were willing to call me directly to my moblie, i guess they must be interested in me.

Hi ,
    First thing you need to do is relax. The vast majority of people are nervous at Job interviews and employers know that and take that in to consideration. Its difficult to know exactly what questions they will ask you but they are obviously interested in your field to set up a skype interview. Just be yourself, be truthful and you will find it will be ok. they will want to know that you are technically qualified to do the job you are applying for so expect some questions around the type of employment and will probably want to know a bit about your background and the steps you are making to get to NZ so just be yourself as I already said and thats about all really
    I wish you all the best

Hi Dave, thanks so much for your reply. I will try to relax as i am always nervous at the start of the interview, i will update on the result of the interview.

Btw, during the initial contact, they asked me how soon i can start work. Since the skilled migrant visa will take months (4 months at least?) to proceed with a job offer , if i want to start work within a month, can i apply for temp work visa while waiting for my skilled migrant visa? Is that allowable?

Yes, you're allowed to apply for a temporary work visa while you have the SMC application in. But there is no guarantee how quickly the work visa will go through, either. You can't PROMISE the employer when you will be able to start, because that is entirely dependent on INZ processing. The best you can do is to say that, if offered, you will immediately put in for a temporary work visa, and that INZ state that current processing times are (whatever). (To fill the gap, you should Google "Immigration NZ (whatever branch) processing times", and you will find a page for whichever branch you have to submit to, giving their average processing time for work visas at the moment.)

NZ employers offering jobs to foreign migrants are used to the fact that they can't start work till their visa comes through. When there is someone like you, with the skill-set they need, they are prepared to wait.

hi starchaser, may i know where you search for job hirings in NZ? i wanted to look for job as well in NZ. hope to hear from you. tnx! =)

Quote Originally Posted by Starchaser View Post
    Hi All,

I am new here, i just submitted my EOI last 2 week with 110 points w/o a job offer. Understand that The chance of getting selected are slim, thus currently i am searching for a job in NZ

Last week i was contacted by Fisher & Paykel and the HR lady asking about my details and some question. So she said she will schedule a skype interview. This is my first job interview by NZ company and i am quite nervous and didnt have any idea how it should go. I hope someone who have this experience in this forum can help (what type of question ( technical? What words to use/not to use? what if they ask question i cant answer, what should i say?) thanks alot

Btw, i am in manufacturing field. I hope i can nail this, assuming that they were willing to call me directly to my moblie, i guess they must be interested in me.

Hi All, Thank you so much for your help!

I have just got an offer yesterday so happy!!!!! (after 2 round of skype interview and flying there for full day interview)
    My work will be in Auckland!! Hope to see you all real soon

Hi Autumn,

Sorry i didnt see ur reply. I applied on seek.com

Great news, congratulations.

Great news starchaser and wishing you good luck