Thread: How many times i can sponsor?

Default How many times i can sponsor?

Hi all,

I recently got my resident visa, and one of my friend wants to apply for student visa but he needs sponsorship from me (form 1025). I am bit worried about how many time can i sponsor because i have my own younger brother and family members, fiance. Will it effect in near future if i sponsor my friend?

Thanks

You can only sponsor residency for your partner, parents or children. No one else.
    As for student sponsors, I would be careful if I were you -as a sponsor you are responsible for the person being entirely in NZ and bear the entire brunt of legal/financial responsibility while they are in NZ. He/She should not need you to be a sponsor if he/she is accepted for study in a NZ educational institute who will vouch for the person's student visa.

I agree with batgirl1001. Look at the introduction to the form. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd.../0/INZ1025.pdf That is a HUGE promise to make. As you'll see here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/42666.htm in the regulations, if you couldn't immediately pay any money due to the NZ government because of one sponsorship, you would be barred from sponsoring anyone else later till you had cleared the debt, and, from what you say, other people who might call upon you would be family members with a closer link to you.

If this friend is asking if they can stay with you, I believe you can give them a letter saying that much, without getting into full-on sponsorship - that is something you could look for in their paperwork.

Quote Originally Posted by batgirl1001 View Post
    You can only sponsor residency for your partner, parents or children. No one else.
    As for student sponsors, I would be careful if I were you -as a sponsor you are responsible for the person being entirely in NZ and bear the entire brunt of legal/financial responsibility while they are in NZ. He/She should not need you to be a sponsor if he/she is accepted for study in a NZ educational institute who will vouch for the person's student visa.

Hi. I think there has been some misunderstanding of terms here. A Student needing a Visa as a full fee-paying student (i.e. not the dependent child of a work/student visa holder or PhD student for example) has to show they have sufficient funds for their maintenance while they are studying. If the individual does not have sufficient funds of their own ($15,000 a year), they can provide either Sponsorship or a Financial Undertaking. A Financial Undertaking must be set up before the student gets to NZ. There are some large companies and special banks that will do this. A Sponsor can be a company or relative/friend of the student. They have to show that they have the funds for maintenance e.g. by providing a certified copy of a bank account. If you have sufficient money, there is n limit to how many students you can sponsor in this way. However, you are responsible for that person's maintenance and repatriation costs, so you need to think about how much money you can show and whether committing a significant sum to this person would prevent you sponsoring relatives in the future. I hope this helps. Kind regards. Karen

My point being if the friend only needs you for a student visa then he/she should approach the educational institute that can and will do so sponsor him. If you are talking of sponsoring for a student visa including financially, you are responsible to paying for him being in nz financially for everything including all debts incurred by him. He must be some friend for you to take such a risk.

Sorry - but an educational institute cannot sponsor a student unless they are providing a scholarship. The financial sponsorship has to come from a company or a friend/relative. I agree that it is a big responsibility and I would only do it for someone I knew really well and trusted 100%. I would also be very careful about not overcommitting my finances so that I was unable to support a close family member. Cheers. Karen

The person should check with the educational institutes to see if he/she qualifies for financial sponsorship as they do offer them to foreign students as well but of course have strict requirements. A student I know personally is studying in Welllington Dance Academy under a financial sponsorship programme so it is possible for educational institutes to do it (like for all organisations or agencies and individuals) and is not limited to universities only. If such an avenue is not open, he/she could look to getting a loan (from their home country) to pay for their study in NZ. However a student visa is not a path for a long term visa like a residency visa. The graduate student will still need to get a job in NZ before applying for residency.

Thank you all for your suggestions.