Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unable to apply for a WHV... Please Help!

Default Unable to apply for a WHV... Please Help!

I'm wondering if someone can help me please??

Myself & my partner are looking to go over to New Zealand beginning of Jan and were wanting to apply for a working holiday visa, and then if all goes well & we get work then apply for a work visa and see how it goes...

I have just found out that I cannot apply for a working holiday visa as I applied for one and was granted it in 2009 - I did not use this as my circumstances changed but they say as it was granted it doesn't matter, I cannot re-apply. I am gutted.

My Dad & two half brothers live in NZ, but as I am 28 I don't fall into a dependent child category and I do not have a 'skill' as such, I am in property/sales market.

The question is, if I go over on a visitor visa, for 6 months, and I do find an employer - Can I then apply for a work visa once I'm there? Or am I completely stuck and am only allowed to visit for 6 months and come home

If anyone has any answers they will be greatly appreciated!!

The question is, if I go over on a visitor visa, for 6 months, and I do find an employer - Can I then apply for a work visa once I'm there?
    Yes, you can, but be aware you're not allowed to start work until you have a work visa. You mustn't work AT ALL on a visitor's visa.

Also, being from the UK, you can have a visitor visa for longer than 6 months - that's just what you get as a matter of course by filling in the card on the plane. You can apply for a longer visitor visa before leaving home, and also, see here. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...asavisitor.htm

Then, if one of you gets a job offer and is applying for a visa, you can sponsor the other for a partner-sponsored temporary work visa. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...milystream.htm This visa lets the partner work at any job (it doesn't have to be skilled), and is based ONLY on proof of partnership. Therefore, you should start to collect proof as soon as you possibly can that you live together (even if you only start to do this when you travel), and keep PLENTY of proof. See old threads for ideas of what you are going to need. http://www.google.co.uk/#output=sear...iw=804&bih=502

You can also apply for a BUNAC Visa

"IEP Work Exchange Visa
    This visa is exclusive to BUNAC and allows anyone between 18 and 35 years old to work in New Zealand for up to 12 months. You can apply to this visa even if you’ve previously had the standard Working Holiday Visa."

http://bunac.org/uk/work-abroad/work-new-zealand/visas

Oh, good thinking - I usually remember that!

Thanks guys, I looked into the BUNAC but our flights are booked for 2nd Jan and they have no availability until Jan 2014

JandM, your information was just what I needed to hear! Thank you! We are going to go out with a few thousand (£) to get us started and we will be living in my Dads apartment so there's no major worry of getting something as soon as we get there, although the sooner the better. I was just worried I'd get out there & have to come home after a couple of months My partner can still get a working holiday visa so it's only me who's in a flap! We do live together now, and will be doing when we get out there so thanks for the heads up - I'll start collating the evidence!

Thank again

Sorry - Last question! With the visitor visa, It says I need to have proof that I have booked a flight home - I'm guessing that I will need an actual ticket? I can't just show them enough funds to book a return ticket to the UK?

We were always going to come back in Oct 2014 for a friends wedding so if needs be I'd have to book that before we get out, but that's 10 months away from when we land in NZ and the visitor visa is only for 6/9 months...

I think it's obligatory to have a return ticket if you're on a visa lasting less than a year. If you were on the WHV 23-month option, you could get away with just having the money. Any chance of getting a ticket with an open return date? Or some people get an onward ticket to Australia, as being cheaper. (But with the oddities of pricing, quite often a return ticket is no more expensive than a one-way one, so it's not so painful just to discard the unused part.)

Sorry for the late reply - I don't get notifications that I have had a reply for some reason!

We have already booked our one way tickets (As I thought I'd be able to get a WHV) The Australia ticket sounds like a good option as we could always go for a week as a break, but I'm conscious they might ask me to provide proof of a flight out again once I enter NZ again!

I have double checked on the Immigration NZ website and it does state 'Evidence of sufficient funds to purchase a ticket' under the 'Proof that you plan to leave New Zealand' heading:

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...isit/visitors/

I will probably have to call them to double check! And take the print out with me!

Hi
    When you lodge your visa application, include a cover letter in which you explain that you thought you could have a WH Visa and so booked one way tickets. You now know that this is not the case but you don't want to lose the money you have already spent. Make it clear that A. you have enough money in the bank to pay for a return ticket (include copy of recent bank statement) and B. you fully understand that unless you have obtained a subsequent visa, you will not be able to stay in NZ and that you will leave before the visa expires. Because you have family in NZ it will be really important that you show that you can and will return to the UK if necessary. Think about a letter from your employer offering you your job back after you return, or a letter form a relative saying that you can come and stay with them or similar. I am sure you get the idea. Having the return flight is only one aspect of being a 'bona fide' temporary visitor. You could also say that you are interested in the possibility of finding a job in NZ if you like it there and are fully aware that will need a work visa before you can start work. This is another reason why you might not want a return ticket right now. Hope this helps! Karen

Thanks Karen! The idea is that I will look for a job when I get there and stay out for a while (After applying for a work permit obviously!) As I'm a UK citizen I read that I don't need a visitor visa as I can enter the country for 6 months without one and just complete something when I enter the country. I will do as you suggested though but instead of providing it with my application take evidence with me. I will have plenty of savings to show I can afford a return flight, I will call and confirm if this is sufficient as it says on the website.

Thanks for your advice... It is so confusing getting all the relevant information together in order for it to go smoothly! My boyfriend has a WHV and all he needs now is his passport, luggage and funds!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast