Thread: proof for partnership-based temporary work visa (1y)

Default proof for partnership-based temporary work visa (1y)

hello,
    I've seen that there are some really useful conversations going on. so maybe there is anyone who can give me advice as well.

I am Austrian and am in Auckland on a visitor visa right now visiting my German boyfriend/partner.
    He has been working here since December 2012, he got a permanent job at the University as a lecturer. but he hasn't applied for residency yet.
    Now I want to apply for a partnership-based temporary work visa to be allowed to stay here for a year and work.
    then, after a few months, I could apply for a different visa.

the problem is that it is really difficult to proof our relationship.
    I am from Austria and lived in Vienna when we met and he is German and lived in Berlin. So, we basically never lived together.
    We met at the end of October 2012, which is less than a year and had a long-distance relationship since.
    I still have proof of flight tickets when he came to Vienna in October, November and Mai to see me.
    Also, I travelled to NZL in March 2013 to see him. but, for example, our parents have never met, apart from skype chats.

we also have some pictures of us, support letters and just opened a bank account today.
    I arrived in NZ on 5 Sept and have 2 letters with my name and our joint address.
    also, I will receive the NZQA results in about 2 weeks time, again with our joint address. we'll see if they give me a bachelor or masters for my studies at the University of Vienna (Magister of Science, teaching degree)

so now my questions:
    • what other proof of relationship might help to get that visa? any ideas and tipps are welcome!
    • do you think a copy of our skype and facebook history helps? (but that is in German)
    • do you see any chance that we get that visa with such little proof?
    • how long does it usually take immigration to process the application?
    • and should I stay close to Auckland during that time in case they have questions?
    • is it generally hard to get this partnership visa, even if it is for just one year?

I really hope that you can give me some ideas how to proof our short but stable and intense relationship as we are very happy together and would love to stay here few more years.

many thanks,
    Magda

the thread describing my situation might help http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=41742

My partner got her partnership based work visa last week.

Although, I am a NZ Citizen so not sure whether that made the process easier.

Whatever it is, you will have to have lived together for some time (we were advised at least 3 months) to qualify for a partnership based work visa

hi Sha,
    thanks for sharing your situation.
    I've heard that if there is convincing evidence why we could not have lived together (work in different countries), that it is still possible to get that visa. but then, the proof for a stable partnership must be even stronger.
    but if you were advised 3 months, you're probably right.

Hi. Sha is right - 3 months is the minimum of living together. Not sure how long your current visa is. You seem to be collecting all the right things. Your Skype and Facebook communication can be used- but you might want to check it is all entirely appropriate for the audience before submitting it. (I have heard some interesting tales of less than appropriate content!) Can you hang on a little longer - say until December? Once you apply, it shouldn't take more than 3-4 weeks to get your visa. You will need to add the time you have already been in NZ to the 12 months and if you haven't done so already, you will need a Medical certificate and Chest-X-ray. These can be done by any GP and radiologist in NZ.
    If you are not currently on a Working Holiday visa you could hope that places become available on the Austrian scheme before your current visa expires. If necessary, you might be able to get a further visitor visa or Interim Visa to see you through until you apply for your partnership visa. Best of luck! Karen

Are you living together now?

How long is your visitor visa for?

yeah we are living together now, but only for the last 2 weeks.
    When he came to see me in Vienna (10 days) and I came to NZL in Easter (10 days) we were living and travelling together as well, but not sure if that counts. the rest was just skype and fb.

I can stay here until 3 December, then my visitor visa expires and I have a flight to Melbourne. can't come back right after though as I had a visitor visa in march already, and you can only get them twice a year.

hi Karen, thanks for your advice.
    my current visa is till 3 Dec, and I have been living with him since 5 Sept. before we have only seen each other when he came to Vienna to see me or I went to NZL to see him last Easter.
    I'll try to get a medical cert. and x-ray soon, thanks for that.

do I need to apply for an interim visas seperately or can I add that to my partnership application? or are you saying that it is best to wait a little longer (to collect evidence) before applying for partnership?

I found another Q and A section on immigration, saying that 1-2 months months of living together might be enough.
    seems like a trustworthy website, or not? or is immigration in auckland stricter than in queenstown?
    http://lwb.co.nz/immigration-question/8/

Quote Originally Posted by Magda View Post
    yeah we are living together now, but only for the last 2 weeks.
    When he came to see me in Vienna (10 days) and I came to NZL in Easter (10 days) we were living and travelling together as well, but not sure if that counts. the rest was just skype and fb.

I can stay here until 3 December, then my visitor visa expires and I have a flight to Melbourne. can't come back right after though as I had a visitor visa in march already, and you can only get them twice a year.
    Based on my correspondence with Immigration NZ, that is weak evidence of living together. The evidence of living together they especially like to see are documents sent to either of you or jointly at the address you are both living at e.g. bills, insurance policies, memberships etc. Now that your partner is working here I presume he is renting a place? Does he have a power account, telephone account etc? He could request to add your name to the accounts. Anything with your name and address you are currently living at it is valuable.

I'm guessing you were granted a 3 month visitor visa when you arrived in NZ? There might be "bona-fide" issues with your visitor visa. Have you tried talking to Immigration NZ? If you do, tell them all the facts about your situation e.g. how you obtained your current visa, the fact that you were here earlier this year, you have never lived together before, you partners visa status etc. I found them to be quite helpful but only after I was very specific and disclosed all the facts about our situation. If you talk in general terms to them or fail to mention things you think are insignificant, you might get incomplete advice.

Hi Magda
    I think you would be best to wait a little longer to apply for a partner visa. The rules are the same for all INZ offices. I agree with Sha that talking to INZ directly would be the best solution. Tell them the whole story and ask for their advice. Don't worry about "bona fide" status. You are entitled to visit your partner and now you are together you know you want to stay together. You haven't done anything wrong. Have you tried looking for a job? I you got a job offer you could get a work visa in your own right. I am not sure about your occupation. Just a thought! Good luck! Karen

all right, thanks Karen and Sha!