Thread: Rental Conditions and Locality around Auckland.

Question Rental Conditions and Locality around Auckland.

Hello Folks
    I am planning my NZ trip around Oct to Nov this year. I am coming to Auckland and would like to know whats the best locality to take up rental house/apartment/studio in terms of not very far from CBD (not more than 10 kms away) and close to bus terminals so it will be convenient to travel considering for couple of moths I wont be having my own car. Also I would like to know what are the general move in conditions when we rent a house, I knw it depends upon agency to agency. I am targetting my rent from 250 to 300 pw. Also is it possible to do short term rental agreements like 3-4 months.

Kindly share ur inputs on this. Thank you.

For the price and location you are looking at, you are better off in an apartment rental (usually they come with utilities included) which can be found in a lot of areas surrounding and in the CBD zone. They are popular with students and tend to be rather small and barely furnished/unfurnished. Check out some of these apartments on trademe but don't rely on photos to make your selection. Most tenancy terms tend to be periodic in which the term of tenancy is undetermined and notice is required when one party or the other wants to end the tenancy. If you want it the short term only be sure to specify it to the agent or landlord. Note that most apartment rentals do not include carparking spaces unless it is mentioned.

Although in the first few weeks you will rely on public transport, it is doubtful that in the longer term (months) you can do without a car or motorbike to get around. Auckland isn't quite public transport friendly and there are places where buses don't go or are a long way off to walk to.

Meanwhile, here are some links to show you what transport goes where. https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=cr&...ansport+routes

From my own experience living in several apartments in Auckland from 2011 - 2013, for a price of $250 - 300 you will not find much. When I arrived in Auckland I rented a furnished studio apartment in the CBD for $280 + power. There where cheaper ones, but there is usually a reason (like a construction site right in front of your bedroom window). When I moved out just 4 month later, the same apartment was on the market for $295 + power. That said it was not the nicest apartment but not in horrible condition either. Outside of the CBD in a close range of 10 km the prices aren't much different. The surrounding areas like New Market, Ponsonby etc. are just as high in price. In the CBD renting an apartment from mid November to mid December is usually cheapest. Many apartments become available because people finish University and move back home or they are going home during summer break and don't want to pay rent during that time.

My suggestion is to rent a room in a 2 bed room apartment or share a room with somebody. In my own 2 bedroom apartment, I had a room rented out for $220 including power, water and internet. There are a lot of rooms up for rent in Auckland. However, quality rooms and good flatmates are very rare. The cleanliness and general quality can differ a lot from apartment to apartment in the same building. So if you see a really bad one, right next door might be a lot better.

In any case take your time and look at every room or apartment closely and check every single corner. Check for damages to the apartment and the interior. Look for signs of cockroaches and other bugs. After you move in somewhere, take your phone or camera and photograph the whole apartment or room from top to bottom. Make sure the photographs are time stamped. Many people and real estate agencies try to get your bond by claiming damages. Even for small scratches or scuff marks on wall paint. Photographs can provide proof that the damage has been there when you moved in.

As for Auckland Public Transport, I recommend to get yourself an AT HOP card. It allows you to take the CITY bus for free in the city center provided the card has more than $1 on it. Generally using the card will give you a 10% discount every time you use the card in a bus with fares or the train and soon also the ferries. Auckland has many different bus companies and the card does not work on all buses, but on most.

Thx batgirl1001/JandM/J32 for valuable information. I thought prices outside Auckland would be little lesser. How is the place called onehunga to stay and rent a apartment. I guess it's only 10 km away from cbd and has good connectivity of bus services. Also what are the general moving conditions for apartment and house. What exactly is the letting fees? Is it fixed or varies as per rent amt.

Letting fees are normally 1 week rent + GST. A letting fee can only be taken by a Real Estate Agency. A private person or trust is not allowed to take letting fees. Bond in Auckland equals normally 3 - 4 weeks rent.

If you rent an apartment with a real estate agency you will have 1 week rent in advance, 4 weeks bond and 1 week letting fee + GST. That would be your normal "move in" costs be. There might be a connection fee for power as well in some cases.

Contracts can be done for periodic terms, which equals 3 month. After the first 3 month the contract will go forward on a 2 or 3 weeks basis. It will be defined in your contract how much time each party has to give notice.
    There are some that will only let an apartment on a 6 month contract basis. The contract will have to be renewed every 6 month.

It will be hard to find apartments in Onehunga. Here are more houses up for rent or rooms in a house. Maybe a sleep-out in someones backyard with a bathroom and kitchenette. I had a quick look on TradeMe and saw a couple of 2 bedroom places for $350, $380, $400, $460. There was also a 1 bedroom with bathroom for $375 listed which includes power, water and internet, which is not too bad.

Thanks J32

I would suggest settling down in the city for a few days/a week or so and deciding where you would like to live for the longer term. The thing is for most people when they choose a rental; budget may not always be the main consideration. A cheaper place may not always be a good decent rental or may be a long way off from bus routes or may have terms and conditions of rental that are hard to meet. If you narrow your search from very early on, you might find that suburb or place to be less than desirable for you. For example, Onehunga looks good on paper but in reality it is quite a distance from the city centre and taking a bus would probably take longer than you realise. Furthermore the suburb is rather industrial/commercial in nature and though there are residential houses, it isn't as attractive as other parts of the city. If I were you I would put my bet on Mt Roskill, Mt Albert but they are usually more expensive to rent. When you land, take a little time to explore the city and decide where you would like to stay. It is better off than signing a tenancy agreement and paying off the bond only to find yourself breaking the contract because you can't bear to be in the place or neighbourhood.