Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Living in CHCH

Default Living in CHCH

Hi there,

I have been in Auckland for over 4 years (originally from the UK) and thinking about moving away from Auckland and have a change. So I thought Christchurch where I could ask for a job transfer from my office in AKL to CHCH.

Has anyone moved there recently despite the earthquakes/after shocks? I know the city is slowly rebuilding itself but could do with some advice.

Cheers,
    Claire

Christchurch is a MUCH better city in getting around compared to Auckland. It's relatively flat.

We are heading there shortly, and to be honest, whilst we have thought about the earthquakes we haven't let it put us off. If you are NZ then pretty much everywhere has the possibility for a natural disaster.

Whilst ChCh wasn't on our radar at all, we were visiting, the job came up, and actually we are really happy that we are going to be living there.

It is flatter, so we are now going to take our bikes and get back to cycling - were looking to leave them behind.

What is the worst that could happen? You don't like ChCh and have to move back to Auckland or somewhere else. Go for it

Quote Originally Posted by celeliza View Post
    Hi there,

I have been in Auckland for over 4 years (originally from the UK) and thinking about moving away from Auckland and have a change. So I thought Christchurch where I could ask for a job transfer from my office in AKL to CHCH.

Has anyone moved there recently despite the earthquakes/after shocks? I know the city is slowly rebuilding itself but could do with some advice.

Cheers,
    Claire

Hi we moved here at the beginning of May and think its a fantastic place to live. Yes the city is slowly rebuilding, there is still alot of earthquake damage but personally I dont really think there is a traffic problem here (but we moved from South West england) People are very friendly and we have been very impressed with the sense of community here. It is more expensive than we expected but I guess would be cheaper compared to Auckland. I havent lived in Auckland but based on my husbands opinion and friends who have - Chch is a far nicer place to live......

As a tourist visiting family in both the north and south islands, then Chrischurch and the south island wins hands down, was there a week ago for 4 days visting and giving moral support to a brother and partner helping with the rebuild but they were having a bit of a hard time settling, showed them around a bit and now they can see how nice a place it is they are going to make a more determined go at it.
    Good luck

PS. my brother would like to meet new friends in chrischurch area, He is also looin for a good chep carif anybody knows of anything around.

Hi, we moved to Christchurch from the UK in June 2013-hubby moved out in April to organise accom etc-there are four of us including our two children Abi (7) and Joe (6)-we absolutely love it here-the traffic is a breeze compared to England, yes there is still quite a bit of demolition and rebuild work going on-but we see this as a positive-we get to be present as this beautiful city emerges from the earthquake damage-regarding earthquakes my hubby has been here since april and has only just felt his first one-I suppose there is a risk of it anywhere in New Zealand-it didn't put us off-the lifestyle is great, the people are incredibly friendly and we are very happy here and looking forward to seeing the rebuild happen and being a part of it - would love to meet up with anyone in the Christchurch area

I certainly wouldn't choose to move to Chch unless you enjoy traffic jams and roadworks that is.

Quote Originally Posted by sarah84 View Post
    Hi, we moved to Christchurch from the UK in June 2013-hubby moved out in April to organise accom etc-there are four of us including our two children Abi (7) and Joe (6)-we absolutely love it here-the traffic is a breeze compared to England, yes there is still quite a bit of demolition and rebuild work going on-but we see this as a positive-we get to be present as this beautiful city emerges from the earthquake damage-regarding earthquakes my hubby has been here since april and has only just felt his first one-I suppose there is a risk of it anywhere in New Zealand-it didn't put us off-the lifestyle is great, the people are incredibly friendly and we are very happy here and looking forward to seeing the rebuild happen and being a part of it - would love to meet up with anyone in the Christchurch area
    Hi Sarah, just trawling through the forums looking for some inspiration (having a bit of a wobble at the mo) I noticed you posted this 2012 so I was wondering how things are ? My hubby has a job offer all accepted and Visa in process and just waiting. All going well hubby will move out about end of Sep and me and my 2 girls will follow no later than Christmas. My girls are Elisha (10) and Maisie (9 in september) and are really looking forward to the adventure. I have been excited about 'the adventure' but read a few nagative things which I guess put me on a wobble for a while. We are looking for suburbs that have new builds and that are good for the kids. If you have any hints and tips or advice that would be fantastic :-)

Sarah hasn't been on the forum since last November, so may not see your question on the thread here. But if you PM her, she might still have an alert set to email her when a PM comes in.

And skiing and tramping and cycling...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast