Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good New Stories

Default Good New Stories

Hi

My husband has been offered a job in Christchurch originally for 12-18 months then hopefully move to Auckland area. I was all set on taking my girls on this new experience and understand the challenges with cost of living etc...however all the forums seem to be full of bad news stories and people saying how bad it is to live there, I haven't heard anyone say yes we are glad we came and the kids are thriving and here are some good areas to view for family houses and schools. Is it that bad, or is it the ones enjoying it don't get on the forums :-(

I do appreciate all the advice (off course we do) and I am not thinking it is a dream place. However if anyone as any good news stories or advice can you please help? :-)

Thanks

Answered on your other thread.

Plus - have a look at some old threads, using the Search for the areas you may be going to.

How about this, to start with? http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15652

There are lots of threads around where people say that they are glad they came.., but we have to careful to not get over excited, then the ones with bad experiences feel their concerns aren't taken seriously

Hi, I guess I fit into your latter category as I haven't been on the forum for a few years now - just popped on as a whim.
    We moved to ChCh 5 1/2 years ago and that means we have been through everything, and we would still choose to live here over anywhere else.
    Obviously it is a personal choice and we now have some family and great friends, but there is so much to do here. We have 3 kids from 7 to 13 and they love sport and the outdoors (even just going to parks on their own) so it fits them really well. There is less cultural stuff around with the CBD being rebuilt but festivals and other little things pop up over town regularly.
    I can't say exactly why but this place just suits us. Lots to do very close by and some amazing views within 2 hours drive.
    Not sure how much this helps you?

I think if you look around on the forum a bit, you'll find what you're looking for when it comes to neighbourhoods etc... There are a lot of happy Christchurch and Auckland residents that have given lots of advice on living in those cities on other threads.

It's hard to advise people on whether or not they'll like some place in general because what makes a place desirable to one person is completely different to another.

If you're looking for someone to tell you it's possible to like living in NZ, I will.

I like living here. My children are thriving. The "dream" we had about our life before moving over has been surpassed in ways we couldn't have imagined. I'm super busy and involved with our sporting club and the school. My husband absolutely loves his job and the company he works for. I love the school and the education my children are getting. I love the region we live in. We don't have heaps of money but with frugality (which I brought with me ) and a bit of luck, we have everything we need.

All of those positives have complexities and struggles involved. There have been huge disappointments for us. I think what you often see, at least on this forum, is people discussing those complexities in a realistic and honest manner. That doesn't always mean they dislike NZ or aren't thriving.

I hope that helps.

Hi all, Thanks for all your replies and it does make me feel less wobbly! I have now found the other post I placed!! Not sure how to delete one so apologies....I didn't think it had uploaded but my girls seem to know more than me and showed me!!!

I had been on a few other forums and I am not sure if it was the place I was in but i appeared to read only the negative! This forum will be on the top of my list and thank you all for your kind words.

My girls are actually quite excited. We are lucky that we have family support and they understand that the place we live in is not the one they grew up in. Not saying all bad here either but I don't want to be 60 and say what if.....if I end up with nothing but an experience and adventure then it will be worth it :-)

Meme, go for it!

We did, almost four years ago now and have loved it!

Quote Originally Posted by Mamee & Co View Post
    Meme, go for it!

We did, almost four years ago now and have loved it!
    Thanks! Things are moving along. My husband job offer arrived and he accepted it. They even threw in a pay rise before he signed it!!! They have been very supportive. So now the house is up and the we are just hoping someone buys it! The market is only just picking up in the North West but we have done alot of things to it so hoping some little family love it!!

Now it all seem real :-)

I moved back to NZ more than a year ago after living in the U.S. for many years. I'm so happy to be home again. My fears generated by some of the posts I read here on ENZ have proved (for me) to be unfounded. I have a warm, dry house without a speck of mould and my power bill is not outrageous. (average summer power bill: in US $, NZ = $110, US = $80). I recently compared my costs of living here for the past year as compared to the previous year living in the U.S. My energy costs are half of what I paid in the U.S. because I live in a friendlier climate in NZ. My car insurance, property insurance, telephone/internet, water and property taxes are all less here than in the U.S. So though I pay more for groceries and petrol, I'm still ahead financially.

My son, daughter-in-law and three grandkids moved to NZ in January. They also have a warm, mould-free, dry house.
    Their main complaint? The school costs (uniforms and supplies). Also the cost of groceries, especially chicken, so they're eating much less meat. They try to go to a new beach every weekend and my grandkids seem to be thriving at school. The two oldest (12 & 14) have SO many exciting choices at school. My 12 year old grandson just went on a three day snorkelling, kayaking, camping trip with his class. My 14 year old granddaughter is elated at her class options from Japanese, art, cooking, etc. She also stays after school for optional clubs - choir, art, and has just committed to a 3 week trip to Laos and Cambodia next year. My 5 year old granddaughter is in love with her school and teacher - and LOVES swimming class.

It is good to be prepared by reading the 'negatives' here on ENZ, but don't dwell on them.
    Last edited by Dell; 23rd April 2014 at 08:31 AM.

We have been here almost 3 yrs with our kids and we also really enjoy it here. Some things are frustrating and NZ is not utopia, but where is? People are friendly, schools are good, kids are thriving and doing tons of activities. We, as a family, have a pretty good social life and love the scenery and outdoors over here. We have rented, bought and sold a warm house and back in a cold damp rental but we are building a new house on a piece of property just out of town so it is temporary. Negatives are cost of food, cost of airfares back home and the cold damp houses. But, as a PP posted, there are warmer houses out there(our last one was) and we are building a house that will have double glazing, insulation and central heating.
    Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast