Thread: General Questions before moving to NZ?

Question General Questions before moving to NZ?

Hello To All
    Before moving to NZ, I have few questions? And I know it will be clarified on non other than enz forum.
    My questions are as below.

1) Which bank has lots of ATM's around NZ so it will be easy to remove money irrespective of location and locality.
    2) Which NZ bank allows to open an A/c before landing in NZ? And What documents they require? Considering I am overseas.
    3) Which internet provider and mobile service provider are best in NZ? In terms of less disturbance, good voice quality and good internet speed.
    4) What food items we should not bring in NZ to avoid custom penalties.
    5) Can anyone suggest me any cheap hotels or motels to stay in for few weeks in Auckland. My plan is to rentout or buy my own house on mortgage later once I secure job and settle down in NZ.

Kindly share your inputs. Thanks.

1) Westpac, BNZ, - pretty much all banks do. If you open an all inclusive banking account, it doesn't matter which ATM you use.
    2) Stick with the big banks, ie BNZ, Westpac, etc.
    3) Like with the banks, there is no best. NZ Telecom or Vodaphone etc.
    4) All food if you want to avoid hassles. If you do, make sure it's processed & packaged with verifiable ingredients listed. Don't bring anything raw or foods that are organis (fresh fruits & veggies). The hassle isn't worth it.
    5) Cheap means back packer accommodations. Google and read reviews.

Thanks super_bq.

1) Which bank has lots of ATM's around NZ so it will be easy to remove money irrespective of location and locality. = ANZ; ASB ; BNZ
    2) Which NZ bank allows to open an A/c before landing in NZ? And What documents they require?Considering I am overseas.= ANZ;BNZ ; ASB , You need your passport and visa page scan or photo copy. When collecting ATM card you need to show your passport.

3) Which internet provider and mobile service provider are best in NZ? In terms of less disturbance, good voice quality and good internet speed.= Depends on place you stay. Most of them have same service level and cost varies from provider to provider .

4) What food items we should not bring in NZ to avoid custom penalties.= Don't bring any food. All Asian Food is available in Asian super stores .

5) Can anyone suggest me any cheap hotels or motels to stay in for few weeks in Auckland. My plan is to rentout or buy my own house on mortgage later once I secure job and settle down in NZ.= If you are looking for premium quality look at Waldorf. co.nz ; If you are looking for hostel types look at http://www.bondstlodge.co.nz

Thanks Shawankit for detailed information.
    Also can anyone suggest me which money remittance services are good and quick without hassel free. (For transfer of money from India INR to NZD and vice versa NZD to INR back in India), and Which bank allows to opens an A/c by keeping min balance. I heard BNZ opens a/c with min amt low as 10$. Is it true?

Hi zednic<

1) Which bank has lots of ATM's around NZ so it will be easy to remove money irrespective of location and locality. A: Others have rightly listed the big banks. If it means something to you, KiwiBank is the only NZ owned bank, the others are Australian-owned. I like to use them for that reason, but they aren't as big and don't have as many of their own ATMs, though you can anyone's.

2) Which NZ bank allows to open an A/c before landing in NZ? And What documents they require? Considering I am overseas. A: Can't help with this.

3) Which internet provider and mobile service provider are best in NZ? In terms of less disturbance, good voice quality and good internet speed. A: I found internet providers to be pretty bad. A: NZ didn't have the bandwidth to keep up with internet use, but they have been layer fiber so it may be better. Internet service is very expensive compared to the US. Can't speak for India. Many people in NZ use the Pay-as-you-go plans for mobile phones. All companies offer them and you can get top-ups at all dairies and other shops. If you know you will talk a lot it may be best to go with a contract but again, way expensive. I never had any problem with cell phone reception or voice quality. Check out Consumers magazine/web site for ratings of internet providers, etc.

4) What food items we should not bring in NZ to avoid custom penalties. A: There are no customs penalties for shipping banned food - they just destroy it and you never see it. I had heard that they don't allow spices but all of mine got through. Might as well try because you have nothing to lose since you have to replace them either way. No fresh food of any kind. See the list of prohibited items at the Ministry for Primary Industries website.

5) Can anyone suggest me any cheap hotels or motels to stay in for few weeks in Auckland. My plan is to rentout or buy my own house on mortgage later once I secure job and settle down in NZ. A: I'm looking for the same thing! But not backpackers, for heaven's sake.

Good luck and enjoy the ride!

Thanks sbranca
    After reading view from people vodafone seems to be a good mobile service provider and for internet orcon plans are good and even they offer unlimited internet with unlimited internationals calls (1hr/call) what exactly do they mean?
    Also can someone suggest me Which bank allows to opens an A/c by keeping low amt balance. I heard bnz allows to open an account with 10$ balance is it true?
    Last edited by zednic20; 26th September 2013 at 10:22 AM.

look at this post on forex transfer http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=37137

Quote Originally Posted by zednic20 View Post
    Thanks Shawankit for detailed information.
    Also can anyone suggest me which money remittance services are good and quick without hassel free. (For transfer of money from India INR to NZD and vice versa NZD to INR back in India), and Which bank allows to opens an A/c by keeping min balance. I heard BNZ opens a/c with min amt low as 10$. Is it true?

1) Bank - I find ANZ useful. I use Freedom, Online Saving and Serious Savers - all accessible through online banking, you can also send money overseas via online banking; no fee transactions, ATMs are common. They didn't require any deposit at a/c opening.

2) Open a/c overseas - not sure about this. Check the banks' websites.

3) We were with Vodafone in the past year - so-so customer service and expensive internet - maybe bcoz they're big? Now we're with Flip. $85/month for unlimited broadband and homeline but uses your own ADSL2+ modem. If you don't have a modem, Orcon is a good consideration $99/month for unlimited broadband and homeline.

4) If you want to bring food in your luggage, make sure they are manufacturer sealed and that you declare everything. Best if you pack ALL food in one luggage and tell Customs that. This is so they don't have to open other luggages. However, if they insist, don't stop them or else they'll give you a hard time. We brought ikan bilis, dried shrimp, ginseng powder. Remember, must declare!

5) Try airbnb.com. Also depends on where you wish to stay while you look for long term housing.

Thanks Breeze and Shawankit for valuable information.