Thread: Partnership

Default Partnership

Hi everybody,

It's the first time that I come to this forum and I hope that somebody will be able to help me.

I came to nz with my partner in November 2010 with a working holiday visa, then my partner had the opportunity to have a "real" job here so we decided to stay. He got sponsored by his company and I applied for a partnership visa, which I was granted.

The thing is that I kind of want to break up with him but I'm afraid that he would call the immigration to inform them that I left... As my visa depends on his, I would have to leave New Zealand and I really don't want to.

I have a job here, and I've been working there for more than 2 years, my bosses want to keep me and are willing to help me get another visa. The problem is that it's "just" a waitress job so I don't think the immigration will let me stay...
    I don't know if it helps but I also give French lessons (being French myself) and I recently passed a diploma to be a teacher of French as a foreign language. But for now I only teach a few hours a week to individuals so nothing serious.

I'm a bit lost and I don't know what to do about the whole visa thing.
    Is there somebody here who can help me?
    Thanks in advance

Exactly what visa do you have? There's no such thing as a 'partnership visa' - there is a partner-sponsored temporary work visa, and there is partner sponsored Residence. Your situation will be different, depending which one you have.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Exactly what visa do you have? There's no such thing as a 'partnership visa' - there is a partner-sponsored temporary work visa, and there is partner sponsored Residence. Your situation will be different, depending which one you have.

Sorry I should have been more specific, We have a temporary work visa (granted for 5 years, until 2016)

I'm afraid from what you say that you're right, and INZ would not let you stay on the strength of the work you are doing.

Do you have any skilled qualifications which might get you a different job that COULD count towards a visa?

Otherwise, since you can prove you have lived together with your partner for a minimum of 12 months, you could, if you were willing/able to patch up your relationship for a little longer, apply for partner-sponsored Residence and get it processed. That is the same as any other Residence, once granted, and would allow you to stay in NZ whether or not you then stayed with your partner.

Thanks for your answer.

Actually I went to the immigration office yesterday and the officer told me that a work visa could work if I could prove that my situation has evolved at work (for example becoming a manager).
    Regarding my other job as a French teacher, it would have to be a full time job (at least 30 hors a week) and unfortunately there is no way I can find such a job...

If I wanted to apply for a partner sponsored residence it implies that my partner is applying for residence as well right? I'm asking because I'm not sure that he wants to stay in New Zealand if we are not together anymore and he won't pay that much money just for me to stay!

If I wanted to apply for a partner sponsored residence it implies that my partner is applying for residence as well right? I'm asking because I'm not sure that he wants to stay in New Zealand if we are not together anymore and he won't pay that much money just for me to stay!
    Yes, that's right - sorry, I assumed he was wanting to stay, regardless of your personal situation. And strictly speaking, he'd be applying for Residence, and you'd be the secondary applicant. (Partner-sponsored Residence is when the partner already has Residence or is a NZ citizen or national, and they back a separate application by their partner.)

Is there any chance your employer might make you a manager?

I think this would be the only solution if I actually needed to get my own visa.
    I know that my bosses would help me as much as they can so that's a positive thing.
    Although the place where I work is a really small place and I wouldn't really have anything to "manage" so to speak!
    I don't know how much the immigration checks about what people do in their position.

We were applying for an Essential Skills Temporary work visa and OH's employer had to provide details of where they had advertised the job they had offered him and give information on why they couldn't find someone locally to fill the position. We also had to send in a copy of the contract of employment and job description.

Oh ok, well if it's just that I guess it's doable.
    Thanks for all the answers

But, notice, that's for someone with a skilled job.