Thread: Previously sponsored someone...no longer together. What now?

Default Previously sponsored someone...no longer together. What now?

Hi there,

I'm new to the forum, but I'm hoping someone can help me.
    A couple of years ago I moved back from the UK after living there for several years, and brought with me my British partner. We applied for a de facto visa, and it was approved. Then around 4 months after that things didn't work out and we split up. That was around 18 months ago. I've since then started dating someone else, another forienger conincidentally, and we're living together. We've been thinking of moving to Australia, and I know I can sponsor them for a special visa available to partners of Kiwis. My question is, will I still be linked to my previous partner somehow in some database? Or on my passport or something?
    I'm worried when we are ready to apply that they'll see I was previously the sponsor of someone - or even worse look me up and assume we're still together, which obviously wouldn't look good for my new partner's application. Do I need to inform immigration we're no longer together etc?
    Any help would be appriciated.
    Thanks a lot
    Mike

Hi Mike. I can't help with the Australian side of things but if you were to apply for a Partnership based residence visa for New Zealand, you can only support 2 partners (so still ok) and the last one must have been more than 5 years ago - so this is currently a problem. (I have assumed that your previous partner got a residence visa. If this isn't the case, things might be different.) Your previous partner will definitely be in the INZ database as having gained residence through partnership with you. If it's Australia you want, I suggest you talk to someone in the Australian Immigration offices. If you want to stay in NZ, you could probably get a different visa for your partnership, but you will have to wait a few years before being able to support your new partner for residence. Cheers. Karen

I wonder if your ex is now an overstayer.?

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Phillips View Post
    if you were to apply for a Partnership based residence visa for New Zealand, you can only support 2 partners (so still ok) and the last one must have been more than 5 years ago - so this is currently a problem. (I have assumed that your previous partner got a residence visa. If this isn't the case, things might be different.)
    Thanks Karen, yes previous visa was approved, but i'm not looking to sponsor another visa for NZ, my current partner already has a visa for NZ but not something that will allow them to work in Australia.
    I'm just essentially trying to find out what Australia will see when they do a background check on me - will me and my previous partner still be linked in an immigration database as being a couple? Do they even have access to that type of info considering it's for NZ and not Australian immigration? Can anyone shed any light on that? Thanks a lot