Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let the Shipping Company Surveys Commence......

Default Let the Shipping Company Surveys Commence......

Ahh that time has come for us to get the shipping quotes in. So we've plumped for quotes from Anglo Pacific (AP), Crown, Doree Bonner (DB) and a last ditch contender PSS. We're moving from Edinburgh to Auckland, 3 bed semi, 2 young kids and all their paraphernalia! It seems my misguided size estimates were grossly under turns out we're 30% a 20ft'r according to the AP guy so 40 ft it is and what the hell lets take the car - hubby is now happy

Has to be said the guy from AP was good and knowledgeable and the quote for the 40ft with car came in at just under 6K, he also said to ring the office manager when we were ready to decide and try to get the price knocked down further!

Today on the other hand we had PSS. I was already a little dubious as it took them 4 weeks to get back with an appointment to me as they are based in the south of UK and don't have a local office in Scotland. Turns out the guy who came was sub contracted from a total different company, couldn't tell me the size of the goods, who PSS use at the Auckland end, the specifics around the car on the container. He was their purely to do the survey PSS deal with the rest until it comes to move day where his company come back and do all the packing and load the container - with my car that he doesn't know how they deal with electronic keycard/handbrake systems err ok then.

so a weeks wait until DB come out followed by Crown the week after. My sister recommends crown being the only shipping that has an international base so you're not subcontracted at either end. We met the rep from DB at a 'down under live' fair and he seemed knowledgeable although I don't really understand if they are a moving company themselves or have just bought up local agents?

I bet you're all eagerly awaiting our next instalment

jenny

Sounds like you are having fun.

We had Anglo Pacific do a quote for us about a year ago just to give us an idea of cost. The estimator was knowledgeable and helpful and with nothing to base it on, the quote seemed fair at the time.

Now it has come to it, on personal recommendation, we got Pickfords in - they have an international base too - they have come in with a much cheaper quote than we had from Anglo Pacific. I was very impressed with the information given to us by the Pickford's estimator both during and since the visit. I was happy with the quote - though the purchasing person in me did negotiate and manage a good reduction on the price and so will be going with them.

In the end it came down to who I felt would look after my things. Pickfords seem like they will do that and they came up with a price that I was happy with too - so easy life

Three years ago PSS did our work. We had no issues, but then they had not subcontracted. They were probably the most knowledgeable about NZ requirements, but if you get a subcontractor, yep, I would be wary.

We had Crown in Feb 2009 who were great both ends. Just one thing though, the packers in the UK said that they were employed by Anglo Pacific so Crown to sub out if the need arises.

Quote Originally Posted by catt View Post
    We had Crown in Feb 2009 who were great both ends. Just one thing though, the packers in the UK said that they were employed by Anglo Pacific so Crown to sub out if the need arises.
    This seems to be quite common . When our neighbours moved out in the UK in 2007 they employed Pickfords yet the packers were from Crown, in fact the same packers who packed us and we had booked with Crown. I asked the guy about this and he said that if another company was busy they often pack for other removal companies and vice versa

I'm really suprised at that I'd heard pickfords sub contract quite a lot but didn't realise it happened big company to company. I also never realisd pickords had an nz/international base.
    We had our quote back from pss coming more than AP and some of the surplus charges area little odd particularly the one about the customer being liable for external cleaning of the container if maf decides it needs done. Any how no lost sleep just one to watch out for in the small print.

I agree to watch the small print. PSS had us liable for MAF charges, but advised amount per package. It was a steep bill on arrival but we brought a lot of outdoor stuff. Crown did pay these but then told us they would not transport most of the stuff inspected. We had tents galore, garden storage cupboards etc. a trampoline. PSS advice was to take everything. Althgh the MAF/MPI bill was high it was less than the cost of selling and replacing everything.

We used Anglo Pacific, the guy who came was just brilliant!! We got prices of Crown, John Masons and Pickfords... We got AP to come down Pickfords prices, so we felt we made the right decision with AP!! Would highly recommend them!!

Family members of mine who made the move to New Zealand choose to go with a local company called First Base Freight, the company seemed to know what they were talking about and gave a very competitive quote for the time of travel. I may decide to go with them also when I decide to join the rest of the family

I got quotes from PSS, Anglo Pacific, Crown and Pickfords.

Crown couldn't figure out where we were moving from and to. The quote came as Leeds to Auckland, then was hurriedly corrected to London to Auckland. Trouble is we were moving to Christchurch. I didn't trust them to actually get it righ when it counted, so they were out.

PSS attitude intrigued me, they were big into slamming other companies service. I didn't like that as a pitch, but still asked them to quote and requote.

Anglo Pacific came in much more expensive and wouldn't negotiate.

So we landed up with Pickfords, as their quote was middle-of-the-road and they seemed fine. It landed up being a bit of a mixed bag. The packers were polite, efficient and seemed very competent. Their office support, however, was abysmal: the "move manager" went AWOL with no email out of office or phone forwarding; two days before we flew, which was 2 weeks after packing, we still didn't have confirmation of when they would be shipping our kit (it transpired it had already gone, and they hadn't told us this- or the vessel name, as promised.) ; they didn't refund for variation between packed and quotes volumes...we spotted the difference on the delivery note and had to follow up twice before they repaid the cash as they said they would; and we had a book case and chest of drawers obliterated, and a sofabed damaged.

I have heard of many more people who had great Pickfords experiences, though. So I think it just goes to show you- so much depends on who you speak to, who you get as a "move manager", and what crew turns up on the day. Do your research, go with who you trust most and get a good vibe from.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast