Thread: Shipping Pets from US to NZ

Smile Shipping Pets from US to NZ

Anyone have experience with shipping pets from the US to NZ? I have done this before and used International Pet Transport (IPT). I was not happy with them though the cat arrived none the worse for wear. (All the comments about IPT on this site mirror my experience exactly.) Does anyone have experience with other companies shipping out of the US? I have asked for an estimate from World Care Pet Transport. Any experiences with transporters is most welcome. Thank you.

Sorry to hear your experience. I used them and had no issues but did not like quarantine here in AKL.

In case you haven't seen it, I did a write-up a while back: http://kiwinos.com/pets/

Having done it before, there may not be anything new in there for you. Based on my experience, IPT is at best marginally helpful, and at worst an annoying, unresponsive middle-man. The way to do it is just use your local vet for all the paperwork. It's part of their job, believe it or not, and that's why they don't like working with places like IPT. They've got some stranger in Los Angeles calling them and barking orders about what needs to be done, but part of the vet's job is do ensure the animal gets there safely and legally. If they send a pet into another country that isn't up to spec, they could be held liable, so it's something they take very seriously.

If you have a good relationship with your vet, and that person cares about your animal, then use that relationship. A transport company doesn't have much value to add.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Your write up is so helpful. You have answered all my questions concerning my two dogs that we are bringing back in 2015.