Thread: Partner Visa: Visitor or Work

Default Partner Visa: Visitor or Work

I am going to apply for a Work to Residence Visa (Accr. employer).
    My wife will apply for a partner based Visa. We have two choices: a visitor based partner visa, or a work based partner visa. For the latter it is stated on the website:
    If your partner holds a work visa for more than six months we may grant you a work visa for the same length of time your partner is allowed to work in New Zealand.
    You can read this in two ways: Either I have to have a Visa for more than 6 months, so 6 months after I have been granted a Visa; OR I have a Visa which is valid for more than 6 months.

If my Visa is approved, I will have a Visa for more than 6 months. So, we hope the second way of reading the rule is the correct one, such that she can apply for a partner work Visa.

And, we also have a child we want to bring with us. It is not possible to include her on my Visa, it is possible to include her on a Partnerbased Visitor Visa. But, is it true that that is not possible on a Partnerbased Work Visa? Do we have to apply for a Visitor Visa for our daughter if my wife can apply for a Partnerbased Work Visa?

Thanks for anyone who has the answer!
    Last edited by boland; 26th September 2013 at 01:38 AM.

If the visa you're going to get is for more than six months, you can immediately sponsor your partner for a partner-sponsored work visa.

If your child is of school age, you have to get her a student visa, and if she's below school age, then a visitor visa. You apply for your wife's and child's visas at the same time as your own, with a covering letter linking them, then they'll be worked as one case, with the CO supplying things you won't know to start with, like your visa number, as they become available, and your wife and child's visas will match your for time. (Also, supposing you're having to get your child a visitor's visa, there won't then be the potential for odd questions about when she is leaving NZ, with whom, etc..)