Thread: Waiting for a CO on SMC Resident Visa Application - Current Visa about to Expire

Default Waiting for a CO on SMC Resident Visa Application - Current Visa about to Expire

Hi Peeps

I currently have a Residency Application with a job offer in the managed queue for allocation of a Case Officer as of 16/09/2013

a) I have entered today within the 30 days time bracket for my current visa to expire. I was wondering what are my chances of being eligible for an interim visa on that basis, and if I necessarily need to wait for a Case Officer for an answer on that.

b) Would I need to apply for a further work permit, when all my existing documentation about my existing job offer have already been submitted along with my previous application?

I appreciate your help in advance, and look forward to your comments.

Jaime

Interim visas aren't issued if it is Residence that has been applied for. They're only for holders of a temporary visa of some kind, who have applied for another temporary visa. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ts/interim.htm

In your situation, I think I would contact INZ, pointing out that your existing visa is going to expire on x date, and asking if they think it likely your Residence visa is likely to be processed in time, or whether you should apply for another work visa. It's often the case that someone in your situation isn't treated as a high priority for Residence while they're in NZ and legally working, but when they point out time is getting short, things happen very quickly.

Thank you for your comment!

I thought that would be the case, I have emailed immigration already about this.

I was hoping someone had experienced a similar scenario and could shed some lights about what happened.

I'll cross my fingers immigration would consider speeding it up a bit taking into account my situation

cheers.

I think, follow up your email with a phone call, to make CERTAIN someone knows, NOW.

Like I said, this situation quite often has been mentioned on the forum. It all depends how far they have actually gone with someone's case - sometimes, if there has not been any hassle, they may have done more of the procedures than they have told the applicant about, so when the 'I've only got x weeks' call comes, it's only a matter of the last formalities, and the Residence visa is issued very quickly. But if they are still waiting for a reply on some verification(s), then they will need to say to get another work visa.