Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Query regarding New Zealand Banks.......

Question Query regarding New Zealand Banks.......

Hello All
    1) Just want to know which NZ bank offers less account maintenance fees or no fees.
    2) Which bank offers credit card for person on resident visa.
    3) Which bank allows to open account on overseas address when person dont have local address or yet to come down to nz.

Quote Originally Posted by zednic20 View Post
    Hello All
    1) Just want to know which NZ bank offers less account maintenance fees or no fees. There are so many types of accounts it depends on what type you want.
    2) Which bank offers credit card for person on resident visa. We got a credit card as residents but only after our salaries starting being paid into that bank's account.
    3) Which bank allows to open account on overseas address when person dont have local address or yet to come down to nz.
    Most will. Try Westpac, ASB, BNZ etc. They all have migrant accounts that you can open from overseas and deposit money in but funds not available until you arrive and present your passport.

I opened a Westpac migrant account from overseas and transferred money into it but you can't do anything with it until you arrive as you need to validate yourself by going into a branch with all your ID. There are no fees if you opt for online banking with no paper statements. You can't get the C Card before you arrive, but after arriving if you are a good customer they will pre-approve a C Card for you

Thanks a lot Hagabel and Richak

I will contact all three banks to get more information. I heard BNZ has lowest a/c maintenance fees (10$ NZD) than other banks, any information on this.

Hi zednic20, definitely check out Kiwibank too. You should be able to get an account like I have (Free Up) that charges you NO accountant maintenance fees!

I said this about Kiwibank last month on this thread: http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42198

'I've been with Kiwibank for just over 10 years (they reminded me last week on my internet banking). I've been 100% satisfied with them. No transaction fees, the only major credit card without an annual fee, fantastic internet banking.'

'They win loads of awards, see http://www.kiwibank.co.nz/about-us/m...t-us/awards.as

For example:
    -Most price competitive bank Sunday Star-Times CANSTAR Banking Awards every year 2006-2012
    -New Zealand's Most Trusted Bank Reader's Digest Trusted Brand Awards every year 2007-2012'
    Last edited by pear; 1st October 2013 at 09:57 PM.

Thanks Pear I will certainly chk with kiwibank as well.

I find that most banks require proof of a NZ address when activating the account there. As an immigrant, producing this local address can be difficult or prolonged.

What address did you guys use?

Hi lokety, its good point. Folks can you help us with his query as What address to give while opening the bank account from overseas since we don't have NZ local address. Do they allow?

yes they do, you just can not transact other than putting money in until you arrive we used our holiday home as an addres when we got here even though we were only in their for 2 weeks same with IRD, this was Westpac, I pay no charges on the account unless I use another banks cash point during the month which is minimal!

Our account is with ANZ. Opened account before arrival and transferred money into the account. On arrival went into branch with ID to collect card. Gave address of the holiday rental we are in until our container arrives and we move into a proper rental property, though we have set up a PO Box and gave them that address too.

It was a really easy process, certainly much easier than opening an account in the UK.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast