Thread: Processing time for variation of travel conditions and PRV

Default Processing time for variation of travel conditions and PRV

Hello all,

First of all, I would like to thank the administrators for this website. I have found a lot of information concerning New Zealand through here.

I am eligible for New Zealand Resident Visa by virtue of my Australia Permanent Residency. I am keen to move to New Zealand in the near future to stay there.

My questions are as follow:

1) What is the processing time to apply for a variation of travel conditions? I would like to do that when I arrive in Auckland. I believe I am eligible for a variation of travel conditions for 2 years (as an Australian PR) so that I can enter and exit New Zealand.

2) What is the processing time to apply for PRV (permanent resident visa) once the two year residency condition has been met? I have read somewhere that it is immediate (on the same day).

I can see you've found this http://glossary.immigration.govt.nz/...dresidents.htm information already.

1) I don't remember the topic of having travel conditions endorsed on as a separate issue coming up on the threads before, so we may not have any experience to share. In your place, I would contact INZ, to ask them where you need to apply, and how soon, and how long it will take. It MAY just be a matter of asking the right question at the Immigration desk at the airport. Or not! Please let us know what answer you get.

2) I know some people have been able to call in at an INZ office and get their PR on the spot, but I've also heard of some offices which did not have provision for this at all, so that people had to send in their passport and get it sent back later. In the latter case, it was never more than a few days for a straightforward case, using the 'presence in NZ' option.

Hi JandM,

Many thanks for the response. According to the website your gave http://glossary.immigration.govt.nz/...dresidents.htm for Australian citizens and permanent residents ,
    what I am not sure is whether the resident visa given to me upon landing in New Zealand is :

a) a resident visa with variation of travel conditions (allowing me to enter and exit NZ for 2 years) OR
    b) a resident visa that expires once I leave NZ.

If it is the latter (b), I guess I have to apply for a variation of travel conditions at INZ office separately. If that's the case, I am keen to know how long it will take. I wonder if anyone here who has gone through this process can verify this?

As for the PRV (Permanent Resident Visa), many thanks for confirming it. After the 2 year residency period, I will be applying for PRV based on the 1st condition (184 days stay in NZ for the 1st and 2nd year respectively). In this case, I believe there is no documents to submit. So it should be pretty fast, probably on the spot.

It's your particular (b) situation that I've not ever seen mentioned here before, so I think you're going to have to find out from INZ exactly what you need to do, and they'll be able to tell you roughly how long it will take, as well. Normally, an Australian passport or PR holder arriving would automatically get NZ Residence of the kind that would expire upon leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    In the latter case, it was never more than a few days for a straightforward case, using the 'presence in NZ' option.
    Dear JandM, though this is my first post in this forum. But the answers in this forum and specially your meticulous explanations have always helped me. Your contributions are godsend in this forum.

Could you please explain what constitutes a straightforward case when applying for a PRV with an indefinite visa and 2 years travel conditions. What are the affecting factors other than obvious factors of character requirements; for someone using '2 years presence in NZ' as a commitment to NZ option. Are there any other yardsticks or standards (e.g. tax or health) in place when assessing PRV applications?

I sincerely look forward to an answer.

Hello.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm I'm sure you've seen this page. Truly, that is all there is for PR - meet the conditions in the top paragraph (and they are putting quite a lot of emphasis on the character one these days, NOT that I'm suggesting that that is any problem for you), then (1) below, if it's 'time in NZ' that you're going to use. That's what I meant by a 'straightforward' PR application. An application would be more complicated if using one of the other criteria, since there are sometimes questions of interpretation of the regulations, and evidence has to be presented.