Thread: Senior Software Engineer visa rejected

Default Senior Software Engineer visa rejected

Hi,

I am holding a bachelor degree in civil engineering and a master degree in software engineering. I have a job offer as senior software engineer in Auckland. My application for work visa under Long Term Skill Shortage was rejected because my bachelor degree was not IT related even though I have a master degree in software engineering. Has anyone encounter similar problem? What can I do now?

I am suggested that I may apply visa under Essential Skills category. What do you think.

can't say for sure because I'm not qualified But the criteria for meeting the LTSS requirements are very strict. I couldn't get bonus points for an SMC category visa for my 18 years' experience in IT because my Bachelors degree (Level 7 on NZ framework) wasn't in IT or Electrical Engineering (column 4 in the LTSS list iirc). If you haven't had your Masters degree assessed by the NZQA, I'm sure they'd question it / reject it.

I ended up applying for a Work to Residence visa by getting a job offer with an accredited employer. Much simpler / cheaper / less risky in the end - qualifications play less of an important role than for the LTSS or SMC category visas.

Hi Leon. If the employer who has offered you a job is not on the Accredited Employers List, you could apply for an Essential Skills Work Visa. This would mean that the employer would have to prove they had advertised the post and been unable to find someone suitable. You meet the ANZSCO criteria, just not the specifics for the LTSSL. This is because a masters degree is considered to have less breadth than a Bachelor degree. Another possibility, is that you could apply for residence under SMC immediately. With a job offer you only need 100 points and the Labour market test no longer applies. So, if your employer is prepared to wait a few months for you to get your visa, this is another option for you. How long is it since you got this disappointing rejection? If it is very recent, try contacting the Case Officer and asking them if you could be approved for an Essential Skills Work Visa instead. If not, ask your employers how long they will wait for you. Obviously I don't know enough about you to guarantee any outcomes, but I hope this helps a little. Kind regards. Karen

Thank you both for the suggestions.

I am applying for visa under essential skills now and waiting for results.