Thread: Could I be offered a job search visa instead of residence if I apply for Skilled Migrant Residence?

Default Could I be offered a job search visa instead of residence if I apply for Skilled Migrant Residence?

My husband is soon applying for an Essential Skills work visa, and I plan on getting a work visa based on our partnership. My partner and I want to stay in New Zealand, but want more flexibility in where he can work. It seems our best bet right now is for us to try for the Skilled Migrant using me as a principal applicant. (We are both Americans)
    I have not put in my EOI yet, but have calculated that we do have enough points to be invited to apply, as my previous background is in IT.
    My only issue is that I have changed careers recently, and don't want to return to software. We both currently are employed in fields we enjoy, in a rural area, with no local software jobs. If I were to apply under the Skilled Migrant, would I be expected to find a job in that field again? We'd like to avoid moving to a bigger city, and both finding new jobs ...

The fee is quite hefty for this visa, so I'd like to know what my chances are at getting residence this way. Thanks!

Hi. What sorts of visas are you on now - I am guessing Working Holiday??? If you are certain that you have 140 points without a job offer then the decision about Job Search Visa or SMC is based on settlement factors. As English is your first language, you are in NZ and therefore familiar with the work culture, locations etc, you could well get SMC. However, if it is clear that you have no intention of wanting a job in the Skills shortage field in which you have expertise, a job Search Visa is a possibility. Given that many software people work from home these days, could you not compromise and do this for a while, so that you are making a contribution to NZ without having to relocate? I know many people who work from home and attend their place of employment none day a week. The other issue is to be 100% sure you have 140 points. If you get the max for age (30) and the max for work experience (25 - given that if you are under 30 you can only have had skilled post-grad work experience for 8 years at most), 15 bonus points because the work is in an Area of Absolute Skills Shortage, 50 for a degree (that has been assessed or on the List of exempt quals), 10 bonus points for degree because of AASS, 20 for partner with degree that has been assessed or on LoQEA, this gives you enough points. If you are adrift from this because of age and/or length of work experience, you may wish to reconsider. Hope this helps. Karen

Thanks for the response, yes we are on a working holiday, but entered the country before turning 31. My undergraduate is in Computer Science, but we left the states to pursue winemaking for the past couple years, and now that it seems just as I am getting my new career started, it'd be a pretty big setback if I had to put it all on hold just to stay in the country. I am mostly worried because working in a winery can be physical, and in the event that my husband gets hurt in a way where he can no longer work, we basically would have to leave the country. I suppose after getting more experience I can try to get a position with an accredited employer, and hopefully meet the salary requirements for a Talent based work to residence visa...

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Phillips View Post
    Hi. What sorts of visas are you on now - I am guessing Working Holiday??? If you are certain that you have 140 points without a job offer then the decision about Job Search Visa or SMC is based on settlement factors. As English is your first language, you are in NZ and therefore familiar with the work culture, locations etc, you could well get SMC. However, if it is clear that you have no intention of wanting a job in the Skills shortage field in which you have expertise, a job Search Visa is a possibility. Given that many software people work from home these days, could you not compromise and do this for a while, so that you are making a contribution to NZ without having to relocate? I know many people who work from home and attend their place of employment none day a week. The other issue is to be 100% sure you have 140 points. If you get the max for age (30) and the max for work experience (25 - given that if you are under 30 you can only have had skilled post-grad work experience for 8 years at most), 15 bonus points because the work is in an Area of Absolute Skills Shortage, 50 for a degree (that has been assessed or on the List of exempt quals), 10 bonus points for degree because of AASS, 20 for partner with degree that has been assessed or on LoQEA, this gives you enough points. If you are adrift from this because of age and/or length of work experience, you may wish to reconsider. Hope this helps. Karen