Thread: Pets

Unhappy Pets

Hi,
    I am currently getting quotes for shipping two dogs to NZ next February. The quotes vary considerably. Could anyone recommend a good company to use?
    The budget was £3k but I'm yet to see a quote come close to this

Sian

I assume you have tried Golden Arrow. I think that you will be very lucky to get them over for GBP3000 unless they are cat-sized. All the best.

Default check with www.qualifiedpet.co.nz they should be able to help

Quote Originally Posted by Siantigger View Post
    Hi,
    I am currently getting quotes for shipping two dogs to NZ next February. The quotes vary considerably. Could anyone recommend a good company to use?
    The budget was £3k but I'm yet to see a quote come close to this

Sian

re qualifiedpets.co.nz, I personally would always use a pet shipper in the country they are being flown out of, much easier to contact them etc. So use a pet shipper based in the UK if you are leaving the UK for example.

We didn't fall under these regulations when we brought our menagerie to NZ but you have looked at this I assume and realise that there is a 6 month time frame for the rabies vaccinations?
    http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/enter.../cats-and-dogs

If you are near London, it may be worth contacting the Animal Reception Centre at Heathrow Airport to see if anyone has abandoned a pet crate you may be able to use. I know that this happens at Auckland airport as they told us that they sell off the ones which people don't take with them. The crates are BIG. Even for a cat.

Hope it works out. Shipping pets is probably a) the most expensive aspect of emigration b) one of the most stressful parts. But on the whole it works out well and there are some excellent companies out there who do a great job. And there are a lot of people on this forum who have done this to ask for advice and reassurance. As with anything though you need to seek professional advice as regulations change.

If the link above is for Qualified Pet Services in Auckland they don't do transports from outside NZ. They are primarily a quarantine facility. I used them the last time I took my cat and they were great. I'm going back with the same cat and will use them again. Whatever transporter you use can work with whatever quarantine provider you specify. (I don't know if there is a quarantine requirement for UK animals since you're rabies-free.) Just note that NZ's animal import process is very detailed and if you don't hit every test and inoculation and date you could be out two dogs.

Yes, there is a 10-day quarantine on dogs and cats from the UK. All the details of official requirements are here http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/enter.../cats-and-dogs and on links off that page.