Thread: Onehunga, Auckland

Default Onehunga, Auckland

Hi there

I have heard that the South of Auckland is kinda dangerous area so I would like to know about Onehunga suburb as I'm moving to work there.

I'm looking for place to stay in Auckland at the moment (max $250/week)and would like to stay near workplace. I don't have car so I have to commute by train or bus. I will finish work around 8-9 pm. Is it safe to walk back home or to train station in this area at night time?

Thank you so much for your help!

Onehunga isn't South Auckland

I haven't heard of this as being a particularly dangerous area, but it varies quite significantly where you are. There are some more industrial areas, and personally I always find those spooky after dark (regardless of South Auckland or not...), but other areas are very residential and I would feel perfectly fine walking along there.

So, as ever, it depends.

Daniela

Maybe if you say some streets where you are looking at properties, there will be people that can tell you about specifics. It's odd, but in Auckland, you seem to get little pockets of 'good' and 'dodgy' areas quite close together, in parts of the same road sometimes. A lot of people have heard of a bad reputation for South Auckland, but even there there are some perfectly decent nice residential parts. (And Daniela's right, of course - Onehunga isn't in S Auckland, which is way the other side of the Mangere Bridge.)

Quote Originally Posted by dharder View Post
    Onehunga isn't South Auckland

I haven't heard of this as being a particularly dangerous area, but it varies quite significantly where you are. There are some more industrial areas, and personally I always find those spooky after dark (regardless of South Auckland or not...), but other areas are very residential and I would feel perfectly fine walking along there.

So, as ever, it depends.

Daniela
    Thank you!

Thank you!