Thread: Skilled Migrant Visa on a Temp Position

Default Skilled Migrant Visa on a Temp Position

Hi Guys,

I have applied for a skilled migrant visa and my EOI has been selected just waiting for the case officer to get in touch with me. I have a total of 180 points. The only thing I am worried about is that my job is on a 6 month contract and it is coming to an end though I have just received a renewed contract from my employer for another 6 months.....I have a Level 9 qualification and my wife is also doing a level 9 that ends next month.... Just want to know if it is still possible that I get the residence permit even though I have a contractor position. I work in the ITC sector and because my employer is quite a big multinational they cannot give me anything in writing to say that this job would keep going indefinitely. the only thing they can provide me with is a letter stating my current role and contract end date....although my contract has already been renewed once.

Cheers Guys

Hi. So you have worked in Skilled Employment for which you meet the occupational qualifications and/or experience criteria for less than a year - you can still claim the 50 points. The fact that you have a new 6 month contract is a bonus. You would struggle to get a long work visa in this situation, but unless I have missed something, I cant see why it should have a detrimental effect on your SMC. Good luck! Karen

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Phillips View Post
    Hi. So you have worked in Skilled Employment for which you meet the occupational qualifications and/or experience criteria for less than a year - you can still claim the 50 points. The fact that you have a new 6 month contract is a bonus. You would struggle to get a long work visa in this situation, but unless I have missed something, I cant see why it should have a detrimental effect on your SMC. Good luck! Karen
    Hi karen,

Thank you ever so much for the reply. It was indeed a relief. The only thing I was concerned about was the fact that they emphasise on the employment being 'on going' which they define as either a permanent job or a minimum 12 month contract with a view to further extension. Oh well, i guess its best to wait and see ....thanks again

You are right - I was thinking, "you have had 6 months, now you've got another 6 months", but it does depend on how this is viewed. I think it might be worth seeing if your employer will either extend the next contract to 12 months or be prepared to write you a letter that says that they believe that the work will be sustained for longer. It would save a lot of delays and disappointments. If they are a big multinational, they could surely afford you for that extra 6 months. No chance that you could get to 140 points not including the job offer is there? I am not sure if you are in Auckland or not, how old you are or what experience you have, but I am guessing you have included everything. Just that this way, the job wouldn't be relevant. Sorry if I misled you in any way before.

Quote Originally Posted by htariq View Post
    Hi Guys,

I have applied for a skilled migrant visa and my EOI has been selected just waiting for the case officer to get in touch with me. I have a total of 180 points. The only thing I am worried about is that my job is on a 6 month contract and it is coming to an end though I have just received a renewed contract from my employer for another 6 months.....I have a Level 9 qualification and my wife is also doing a level 9 that ends next month.... Just want to know if it is still possible that I get the residence permit even though I have a contractor position. I work in the ITC sector and because my employer is quite a big multinational they cannot give me anything in writing to say that this job would keep going indefinitely. the only thing they can provide me with is a letter stating my current role and contract end date....although my contract has already been renewed once.

Cheers Guys
    Thanks again karen. I am in auckland and no doubt the company can afford me for another 6 months. The job is there in the long term and there are people working with us as temps for years in the same position. It's just that the company does not put on paper any committments. Without the job the points come down to 120. Really hoping this works out though. Would be interesting to see. Thanks once again.