Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One year in...

Default One year in...

Won't bore you with the details but a few thoughts (can only speak to Welly).

As a Scottish-American with experience on both sides of the Atlantic, I'd say the culture here is more akin to the West Coast of the US than Britain - more Oregon than Manhattan Beach. They are pretty liberal with a leavening of entrepreneurial frontiersman-got-to-go-out-and-do-things-for-yourself. For prospective British migrants who are looking forward to going to Britain twenty years ago I'd say, don't think that. NZ is its own place.

NZ tends to adopt technology slowly then very fast in a big jump. Online banking is superb. Broadband still crappy but getting there. Do yourself a favor and forget the just awful terrestrial TV and get yourself a virtual US or UK IP address and do Amazon or Netflix instead.

I don't know about the experiences in the anti-NZ sites but I've found New Zealanders to be incredibly helpful and friendly. It's really helped having kids but I've been astonished how fast I've put down roots here. But you have to chip in. Scouts are unisex and have been fantastic and they get to do loads of interesting things (they even have their own flight school). Play parks are so much better here.

If you are going to dress up in fancy dress or get your kids dressed up, do it well. They are seriously into this here. The World of Wearable Art is the prime example and is a must to visit at least once in your life. So are the Sevens if only for the cycling men in mankinis. They are probably senior civil servants.

Everyone is doing something else after work. Either tending to their bees, cycling, sailing, running a business on the side, growing veggies, kayaking...you name it. The commute is so good you can get home in the summer and really enjoy yourself.

Yes the food is expensive and yes the best way to overcome that is go Kiwi - buy food on special and use local providers or catch it or grow it yourself. Yes the pay isn't that good but is defo made up for in quality of life. Yes it's windy in Welly but when it's not it is a paradise. Yes it's far away and you can't get over that. Yes dentists cost the Earth. If you have a lot to do, consider going to Thailand. Only thing I would really fault NZ over is that one of its greatest strengths is its greatest weakness. NZ is the home of second chances and fresh starts. But it also means that Ponzi perps like David Ross (think Bernie Madoff of the South) only get the equivalent of a slap on the wrist for ruining peoples' lives.

Was it worth coming here? Abson-toot-ly.

Hello dede, enjoyed reading your post & the 'help yourself' attitude. . I don't get to visit Wellington too often, but when I do I reckon it's a lovely place (wind aside). Cheers.

PS. You mention Amazon or Netfix TV, how would you go about setting it up.? Thats' if we could get it.
    Last edited by Fern49; 6th October 2013 at 10:06 AM.

I believe Slingshot do it as part of the package. Find a friendly American or Brit with a credit card with a US or UK address...it cost about $80US/year. Bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by Fern49
    PS. You mention Amazon or Netfix TV, how would you go about setting it up.? Thats' if we could get it.
    My guess is that they use a VPN (Virtual Private Network) with a host server in the US. Many companies use VPNs for their travelling employees. It allows them to "tunnel" securely through the internet from a hotel, or wherever, back to the company network to access email, documents, etc. when you do this, you IP address will appear to be wherever the VPN server is located (or connects to the internet). Thus, with a US VPN server, you can get around the geographic limitations of services like netflix/amazon. Can also be done for people to watch stuff like the BBC (whatever they put on their UK networks); i.e. they'd use a UK based VPN service. Word of caution though, laws vary in each country, and some nations might have laws that make using VPN services, for this purpose, illegal. That being said, 99% of the public couldn't be bothered to jump through the hoops to set this up, so laws may not have caught up with this sort of thing. Plus, I think people would gladly pay for some services from outside their home country; All depends on if local media companies are okay with the competition from overseas.

VPN services can also be used to provide use with a secure connection when you using public wifi. You can use local VPN services for that. If you are lucky and have a static IP address from your service provider, you can even set up your own VPN server (assuming your ISP is okay with this). In the US, most ISP provide a dynamic (changing) IP address, so you'll need to use a service that tracks these changes.

Sorry to get all technical. I've been meaning to set this up myself (for using public wifi), but I haven't yet.

That being said, it would be nice if amazon/netflix/vudu etc. setup a few overseas servers. One would think local governments would like a piece of the action, rather than watching all the revenue go overseas.

Quote Originally Posted by dede View Post
    I believe Slingshot do it as part of the package. Find a friendly American or Brit with a credit card with a US or UK address...it cost about $80US/year. Bargain.
    Probably an easier solution to implement than going the DIY VPN route I mentioned.

We actually use a VPN (OH is the techie) and it costs about NZ6/month. Slingshot prob easier...It's becoming pretty popular given the grip Sky has on content here.

Thanks for the update, dede.

Congratulations on your anniversary! Glad it's working out for you.

We've been using a VPN service, but am now trialling a DNS services. We have two Samsung smart TVs and have configured one for the UK: we can now use the BBC Channel 4 and ITV on-demand apps. I'm currently in the US where I've just acquired a Roku, which is configured for US access. We'll be setting up a sub-router on our home wifi network with a US DNS address.

We use Roku as well. Excellent for on demand movies from Amazon plus Netflix.

Thanks for the update.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast